28,585 miles on my car how many miles can I go, or should go?

Just got a brand new car they changed my oil at 14,000 miles they said it can be driven up to 28,000. So far so good but I don't get paid till the 25 and i need a oil change. I'm going back to v.a today and I'm 266 miles from there will I be ok or i should be concerned. 

Uou shoudl learn how to READ your oil from the dipstick! REMEBER not all oils are ALIKE either! VALVOLINE is made from ASH and TAR and usually causes troubles with seals and gaskets over time as well as engine wear! USING PENNZOIL PLATINUM will get you an extendedf warranty to 500,000 miles! Use yoru DIPSTICK to see if the oil is very DARK or VERY THIN! This is how to READ your oil! Nearly ALL CARAS require FULL SYNTHETIC OIL to keep the warranty these days and it's a GODO THING! These oils reduce emissions, and allow your exhaust to double or triple it's ifetime of use! They keep your SENSORS clean as well!

A car that new should have a sensor that TELLS you when to change the oil.

Most vehicles built when the recommended interval was 3,000 could go 500 over without any issues.

• Phil M
      1 month agoReport

Those "sensors" are nothing but a timer that counts miles. They need to be reset at every oil change.

If you've already gone 14K miles and change on the existing oil, driving it another 266 miles isn't going to make or break anything.  If you're going that far between oil changes though you might seriously consider having a lab that specializes in motor oil analysis take a look at a sample of that old oil to make sure you're not killing the engine by going that long between changes. 

An oil analysis isn't especially costly, there are several labs that provide that service (I won't list any by name because Y/A has a tendency to remove my posts when I mention businesses by name...) and if you find out the oil isn't good to that distance or that the engine wear is significant from the sample etc., you can go to more frequent changes before you end up spending $1000s on a new engine.  Good luck

• Erik

It will be fine.  But I think it's foolish to wait that long, regardless of what they tell you, how new the car is, or what kind of oil you're using.  Never forget, the cost of an oil change is nothing compared to the cost of a new engine.

If you "just got" it and it's "brand new", how can the oil have been changed at 14,000 or 28585 miles??????

Just keep checking the dipstick BEFORE YOU START THE CAR and check the oil level.  So long as oil is in there at the right level, you are safe.

You should never go past 7K miles even with synthetic oil. Changing the oil is the best way to keep a car running good for a long time.

Normal "wear and tear" is considered 1,000 miles per month.

A well maintained vehicle should "last" 200,000 miles

Most non-commercial vehicles barely last 75,000 miles due to poor maintenance, some failing before 40,000 miles with no maintenance or just adding oil when needed.

Unwashed coastal use vehicles fail earlier.

Something is seriously wrong with your financial planning if you are driving a brand new car but you can't afford an oil change until payday.

The car will be fine for another couple hundred miles until you get paid, but maybe you should start putting some money aside each paycheck toward maintenance.

• Dze

itl be alright .. just 'dont' put it off further and forget about it ..oil can 'coke' and harden in passagways then it can toast your motor if let go long periods of time ..