Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Could starting sexual rumors as revenge be a form of actionable sexual harassment?

Coworker is the ex wife of my (boy)friend. We have minimal contact. Recently, she has begun attempting to persuade her ex husband to come back to her and care about her feelings? It's weird. He makes it clear that's a no go each time, so it gets worse. It's about to get to TPO level. They share children, so its difficult. He has shared some of the emails received and it's just absolutely loony toons. She writes books trying to defame me, usually in a sexual manner.

She has told people I hit on various men at work asking for sex specifically, yet also turned one of these men down at the same time. This guy is supposed to be her source of info? She's accused me of claiming others have stated they wanted to have sex with me including women, which is not true. This is a repeated and frequently added to each time deal. Each time it's more dramatic and a little more over the top.

Then she alleged only she can see me taunting her somehow, nondescript, at work briefings? But nobody sees this aside for her. I am so lost. I mind my own business, work my unit and don't talk to anyone more than necessary for the job. Its law enforcement. I'm hoping she leaves, SOON. Very dramatic, downright absurd accusations. I believe she put out these rumors, it came back differently, amped herself up on that and recirculated it. 30 years old. Get over yourself already? However, it has caused tension in the workplace. I am being treated differently  

• Foofa

This would be a civil case based on your loss of reputation and livelihood because of her lies. Go talk to an attorney.

Find a new job.

The rumor mill can be deemed harassment.  It is just tough to pin the original source on one person to make a claim against.

No its not. Sexual harassment is only for workplaces anyway.

It is not sexual harassment, because it doesn't meet the legal definition. However, it is harassment, and it should be actionable.

You need to go to HR.

There's a rumour involved and to me, there's no case here. I didn't see anthing so i don't beleive any of you.