promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can you repair a MacBook that has been water damaged?

I spilled a glass of water  all over the keyboard. It won’t turn on at all. Should I bother trying to have it repaired or sell it for parts?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

DON´T THROW AWAY!!!

As long as you imminently shut down your device, you can probably take off the bottom panel, and let it air-dry for a couple of days.

Good luck!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It's probably dead - and you won't get much for parts.

You can try taking it to an Apple store and see if they can do anything for you, but it's most likely a lost cause.

• Steven
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I think you have to discuss with the macbook supporter, they can only help you or try try the macbook parts. 

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

Almost impossible to do so I think 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Impossible to predict because we can not tell what was damaged.  I had a laptop that got about 1 teaspoon of water spilled into it.  It apparently hit the right (or wrong) point on the system board and fried the entire unit.  I had another laptop that got caught in a flood and spend over 24 hours underwater.  I dried it out for about two weeks, gave it a try, and it worked fine.  I used for about five years after that.  So there is no way to predict what damage water will do.

One thing you want to do is NOT plug in or power the unit until it has had time to dry.  Let it sit for a week (or more).  If it is going to come back, that should be long enough.  If it does not power up after that, start saving your pennies to buy a new unit.

• 2 months ago

likely the motherboard or cpu now need replacing, perhaps both. its just parts now

• 2 months ago

You can fix it by opening it apart. But most experts won't suggest this because of the complex assembly of MacBook. You can see some tutorials online on how to open MacBook.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The damage has already been done. Drying it now will not help.

Can it be repaired? Yes, but depending on it's age and condition, it may be cheaper to replace it. It will most likely require a new motherboard. Sell it for parts? I wouldn't pay more than $10 for a computer in this condition because I don't know the extent of the damage.

• 2 months ago

Try putting the macbook in a container full of uncooked rice. The rice will absorb some of the water and hopefully it should turn on again.

• 2 months ago

Before you do that, I suggest opening the back cover, discharge the battery, and use a towel to dry any excess water. The storage is the most important hardware on a computer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.