Will washing a hoodie in cold water with bleach. Then followed up by hot water put in a dryer kill all vermin?

I am currently homeless, I am trying to stay warm at night.  I've found a hoodie or a jacket outside by a trash can.  I am going to put it in the washing machine and wash it in cold water first with some bleach.  The reasoning in cold water first is any stains that might be potentially there. I want them removed first before I use hot water.  I'm going to use hot water then.  I am going to put it in the dryer for approximately 45 minutes.  I just want to know will kill scabies, bed bugs and lice.

• A

hot water removes more stains than cold, pretreat stains, then wash in hot watr

Use hot water and laundry detergent.  Give it a good wash and dry.  Done.  Bleach is unnecessary. Vermin tend to drown.

• Edwena

First give it a good dose of insecticide from a spray can and put it in a plastic bag for a couple of hours. If there are any bugs, you should be able to find them in the plastic bag. That will tell you how bad it is. Then the wash as you have proposed should kill any germs.

Yes, it should but you need a good detergent as well or many of the stains will not be removed and will become permanently set once it goes through the dryer.

• David B.

George, OK just thought it was worth mentioning. I hope you are able to get out of your current situation soon. Good luck to you.