promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Marek asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Are there any disadvantages with using Canon lenses on a E body Sony Camera?

I would like to purchase a Sony Alpha 7s Mark II or Mark I camera and I would like to connect my Canon lenses to it via an EF - E body adapter.

My questions is: 

Are there any disadvantages with using these lenses via an adapter since the camera is a full frame camera and the lenses are designed to be used with Canon 'half-frame' cameras?

Any suggestions and answers are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The disadvantages of using an adapter to use a lens not meant for the camera are mostly about compatibility. Most adapters can make a non-native lens physically mount a camera but not all can preserve automatic functions for AF, aperture and anti-shake. You may be limited to shooting in full manual mode.

Worse is the problem of using an APS-C lens with a full-frame body. The image projected by the APS-C lens won't completely fill the full-frame's sensor producing a picture that has large ugly dark fuzzy borders. The bad part is that APS-C lenses have protruding rear ends that can get in the way of the reflex mirror or a full-frame dSLR. If the mirror gets damaged, that would be an expensive repair.

If you really want to go full-frame, commit to a system whether you go Canon or Sony. You must also buy full-frame lenses to go with the camera.

There is a little hope with Canon. Some full-frame Canon dSLRs are able to use Canon EF-S lenses safely but will automatically crop the picture so you won't see those horrendous borders anymore. That basically means, you still are shooting in APS-C terms. Although this setup will allow you to use your cheap old lenses, you will still have to buy full-frame lenses to take full advantage of the full-frame camera's abilities.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You mention the Metabones EF to E mount adapter, but you also say your lenses are for Canon's "half-frame" camera.  The term half-frame is not accurate.  Instead, to be factually correct, the camera's format is APS-C.  Since the Metabones adapter is for EF and EF-S lenses, it may not work with your EF-S lenses.

With the exception of saving money on new glass, there's no advantage at all.  In fact, because the lenses are EF-S lenses for Canon's APS-C format of DSLRs, you're likely to get a lot of vignetting since EF-S lenses will project a smaller image circle than a 35mm format lens.  How much vignetting is hard to say because the size of the image circle will vary from lens to lens.

Furthermore, the AF performance of non-Sony lenses on a Sony body will not be as good or as using a native Sony lens.  So expect the AF speed to be slower and the lens to hunt more than a native lens.  Depending upon what you're doing, this could be nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sony's known for their lightning fast autofocus, but when you pair it with something like this your camera will autofocus the speed of a 20 year old camera.  This means you will get more blurred and noisy shots through these old lenses. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.