promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 2 months ago

How to start up a successful YouTube channel? ?

I am 25 and an inspiring actress I impersonate people well and I also into fashion but I work two jobs and have no time to edit. I want to show people my talent. I want to show black woman about taking care of their natural hair and all.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Start from Instagram it is a great platform for showing your talent.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

First let's get something straight. You're not an *aspiring* actor. You're just a person with a fantasy. Wanting to be something is not the definition of aspiring. Have you been taking any serious steps toward the goal of becoming a professional *actor*? Are you attending a serious acting school? Taking workshops and other "add-ons?" Participating in contests? Are you reading plays and picking out monologues and memorizing them? Are you actively looking for local auditions for student and indie films? Are you auditioning for community theater productions or have joined one? Do you produce your own projects? Do you research the business of acting? Do you network with other aspiring actors, producers, and directors? Are you taking other classes, such as vocal and dance and dialects? Are you working on your (quite poor) language skills, one of the most important tools in an actor's toolbox? Have you been doing these things for the past years on a regular basis? If not, then you're not even an aspiring actor.

I can tell you're not really an aspiring actor. For starters, you don't seem to have any idea what acting really is or what it actually involves. It is NOT impersonating people - that's just a skill. And that's assuming you are good at it, as opinions of friends and family members mean nothing. So if you really want to pursue an acting career, start by actually taking realistic steps toward it. Start by doing the above. Actually, start by taking some acting classes, something low-key, and see if it's even worth pursuing professionally. See what acting really is. See if you enjoy the *craft* itself and the process. If you're even good at it. If you find that it is for you and that you are good, then apply to a series, top quality acting school (where well-known and respected teachers teach and successful professionals graduated from, not just any acting classes). Continue on to get more training and experience. Educate yourself on the subject. Win awards for your *acting*. Produce and star in your own projects as well. Build a resume strong enough to impress legit agents. This alone takes about a decade of hard work and a lot of money. Then (move to LA and) get an agent. Anything else (like starting a beauty youtube channel in the hopes of becoming an actor, famous or not) would be a kid's dream. It doesn't work that way. At the end of the day, acting is a business.

If you want to start a youtube channel regardless of any other desires like becoming an actress, there are things you need to keep in mind and sacrifices you'll need to make. First, you can't "start a successful channel." That makes no sense. You start a channel and then after a few years it may or may not become successful. It's a gamble, you can't aim for it and you certainly can't be successful right out the gate. Besides, 99.9% of youtubers don't become famous and never will.

The ones who do find success don't just find it. They're extremely lucky, but luck is far from enough. You need to invest TONS of money, time, and work just to try. Sorry, but it's not that easy. All those successful youtubers have worked their asses off to provide constant, quality content daily or weekly. They all had jobs when they started their channels, and some have quit their day jobs once they started making enough money youtubing. The vast majority need to do this while also working at their day job. It's a sacrifice. You need to treat it as your second (or third) job. That means editing late after work, before bed, or early in the morning before work, among other things. You could pay someone to edit for you, but that's gonna cost you a lot of money, which you're gonna need for other stuff. Not just to buy food to put in your fridge but also to buy good equipment for your channel. You need a good mic, camera, lightening (and the additional equipment that goes with it that make your face all shiny while you do your tutorials or whatever), background or props if needed, maybe a good editing software and other software, you might need to buy the rights for certain things you use, or memberships, or book locations... The list goes on and on.

But it doesn't end there. Even if you pay someone to edit for you, there's tons of other stuff that goes into producing a single episode. You'll need to invest tons of time on things like writing a script and editing it or at least a well-planned-out agenda because you can't afford more than a few brief dead seconds. You better be a big talker with an outgoing personality! Always be excited and inviting, even when you're sick or don't feel like it. Yes, unless you're *very* ill or had a family tragedy, you need to work and upload content regularly, otherwise you might lose viewers! Like I said, it's basically your job.

A big part of successful youtubing is thorough research: the subjects you discuss (don't give false information! That could potentially lead to lawsuits against you if something bad were to happen to a viewer!), research the market (an in, your competition. As in other youtube channels that started out the same time you did, others that discuss the same subjects and have the same tone, and youtube blogging in general now and then) and then come up with the best strategy based on that. You need to be business savvy (to be honest, it doesn't sound like you are). That's what it is - a business. Which means, among other things, that if at some point you manage to make enough money, you'll need to pay the proper taxes. So research that as well. At some point, if you're successful, you could take on sponsoring. Research that. Look into PR and marketing strategies. Look into a customized logo and theme music - that costs money as well but it's part of it. You need to provide *quality* content. Don't assume people will tune in just to hear you talk or to "watch your talent" - nobody cares. That's what *friends* are for. Again, it's a business.

Another thing I feel should be addressed, speaking of business. There are literally thousands of channels out there under the same category. Thousands of youtubers talk about hair (and beauty products and hacks). How do you stand out? What makes you different? If it's for black women, do yourself a favor and research that. How many other channels out there deal with the same topic of (hair/products/hacks/other) for black women/men? How can yours stand out, what will make you different? What's the hook? Or maybe you shouldn't run a beauty channel at all because the competition is too fierce and the chances of finding success is so so small? Maybe find a different, less common, topic? Also, what's your "talent"? Why can't people get what you offer elsewhere? What makes you the expert? Do you have any credentials or background? Are you a professional? What do you have to show for? These are things you need to take into consideration and come up with the best strategy. I should also mention your language skills again, because it's important. Why would anyone take advice from someone with such poor language skills? It may seem insignificant to you, but try looking at it from your potential audience's point of view. Generally speaking, if you run a business you should always try to look at things from your client's point of view. It's not really about you - it's about the client first and foremost.

You can't expect to just start a channel and become a success. Or dream of becoming an actress and become one. Do you have what it takes? Are you a businesswoman looking to take the world by storm through years of hard work? For the record, I believe you're not. But I'll let you decide for yourself. I'm not mentioning all of this to put you down but to give you a little reality check.

As for fashion (design?), go to fashion design school or learn on your own. Then put on the business suit, just like in acting and youtubing, and get to work.

Anyway, good luck.

• 2 months ago

So it sounds like you want to be “discovered”.  Sorry, but that’s not how the industry works. It’s show BUSINESS.  People are in it to make money.  They are not searching the country for deserving people to reward with an acting career.

I get that it’s hard working two jobs and that you want to take advantage of the current trend highlighted by the short “Hair Love”.  YouTube is not some shortcut to an acting career.  You need to be willing and able to put in a huge investment of time, effort and money. An acting career needs to become a priority in your life - so maybe make sure you have a realistic understanding about what is really involved before you go that route.

So if you want a successful YouTube channel you need to define exactly what “successful” means.  Again - you’re not going to be “discovered” from a YouTube channel.  Talent agents and casting directors are not searching YouTube for people to cast. You need a “brand” for your channel - something specific. Each video needs a clear theme.  And then you build your “brand”.  That means networking online as well. Following and promoting other channels so they promote you. Be careful though you don’t want to promote something against your brand.

There are a ton of articles online about building a YouTube channel - research and start to make a plan for yourself.  For example - https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/become-...  No one is going to take you by the hand and tell you what to do.  This would be YOUR channel so it’s your responsibility.  Approaching it as a business with defined goals and a specific plan will increase your chances of success.

Good luck.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First, learn better English.

I think you mean "aspiring" actor and your general usage is very poor.

Secondly, impersonating people has very little to do with acting.

You'd do better to concentrate on your real jobs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Too late really, not saying impossible but the really popular posters have the oldest accounts, I mean, when it's a poster that wasn't famous for anything but has a lot of subscribers, it's just because they have an account from when YouTube started.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.