NAVY FTS (HM) - Enlisting as Single Mother?

Hey guys - I’m looking for updated answers above all else. Every forum I’ve read on here post dates close to 10 years ago. Here’s my question - I’m highly looking into enlisting into the Navy. My family has been extremely successful in it on my mother’s side, there’s a lot of long-term benefit that I see in it as I aim to solely provide and defend for my son (2 years old) as a single mother.. My moms condition is becoming terminal and his dad has been somewhat (very) unreliable but he’s a good guy/father and he does want him. I’ve ASVAB tested into my preferred job field, Hospital Corpsman, and am awaiting MEPS.. Obviously I’m looking into reserves, but I’m after a full-time work load and as much benefits/pay/training as possible. So far everything is going perfectly.. my Recruiter even got me granted a waiver to give over temporary custody instead of fully giving over sole custody. I plan to have my son with me (off base) after BC and aSchool.. What can you guys tell me about FTS as a single parent? Lifestyle? Expectations? Things to be prepared for? Do’s and Dont’s? Anything and any knowledge helps - Thank you in advance! I’m doing this to serve my country, and better the security of our future and my families’ future. 

No discouragement- positivity and care only, but please do be fully honest..This is not an easy decision, but one God has put heavily into my heart to do and I’ve put much thought and research into.

• Jason

I'm not sure where you got the idea a non-prior service enlistee can get an FTS assignment. Much like ARTs and AGRs, those positions require experience. 

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/de...

Who takes the kid when you go to sea?

a single parent cannot enlist... end of story

• Mrsjvb

FTS slots are reserved for people who have been in the Reserves unit for years( typically you must be an E5 minimum and usually an E6)  or who are transitioning directly from Active Duty. nobody straight outta A school is gonna get an FTS  billet unless they have extensive(  a decade or more) civilian experience that translates directly to the Rating.  

you got the waiver because you are going Regular Reserves.  otherwise, you would not be enlisting at all as a single parent.  after A school is finished, you are still going to need a regular civilian job.  

• Mrsjvb
      1 month agoReport

That’s for those coming off AD.  Not new enlisted.  Plus who says that you will be offered HM at all?  

You cannot enlist as a single mother.

Sorry, you're not enlisting as a single parent, and you don't get to choose what kind of answers you get. This is not Snowflake HS where anyone gives a damn about your feelings.

ETA: And obviously they didn't teach you to use birth control while you were in HS either. Better yet, you're parents could have taught you how to keep your legs closed.

• John

You will likely be deployed for six months a year where you can't take your son and parents with you. You can write letters home which is highly encouraged. You can get a hardship discharge. The Navy has changed a lot since I enlisted in 1970.

• Mrsjvb
      1 month agoReport

doesn't matter.. you still are not getting a FTS  billet as a first term enlistee.