promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
RC asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesBMW · 3 months ago

I was Charged $650 for oil changed service for my BMW 640i is this standard price?  Should I go back and talk to the manager? ?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

you didn't say where. local mechanic shop? dealer? for dealer, no, they will overcharge you. for local mechanic, yes go back.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • J W
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I just changed my own today.  I got a jack, two jack stands, 7 quarts of oil (6.5 used in engine), and oil filter for less than $150.  There is a multitude of maintenance videos on YouTube. 

• Snowie
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That amount definitely is not a simple "oil service" from BMW. I bet it's one of the scheduled "inspections" (once in 2 years); which includes a lot of other work involved other than "just" and oil change - which would be "standard". A regular oil change from a BMW dealer would be in range of $80-$120.

• 2 months ago

I would assume it included other items.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. Engine oil is NOT made from GOLD. You MUST however use only LONG LIFE -03

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Congratulations on thoroughly researching your options before making the purchase.  Now you're stuck with that over-priced POS.

• J W
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

So you added zero to the topic...

• 3 months ago

Not an unusual bill for a dealer service for that vehicle.

• 3 months ago

You made the mistake of buying a "rich mans" can and those are the prices they charge. Anything over $100 is a rip-off and never go to the dealer, fin a reputable local mechanic.

• 3 months ago

That was most likely a scheduled  maintenance service that included an oil change, as well as other items such as perhaps flushing the coolant, and transmission.

BMW's can go 10,000 miles between oil changes, some will even go 15,000

So every 2nd or 3rd oil change should also include the 30,000 mile service - which may include things like flushing other fluids.

Look at your receipt or call the shop to ask for a complete list of what they did. If you just asked for the "30,000 mile service" or something similar they probably assumed you wanted everything done that is recommended at that mileage and you must have been at one of the major milestone service intervals.

• 3 months ago

Talk with them? I'd have taken my car without paying if a mechanic tried getting me to pay more then $50 for an oil change!

Bet you had a maintenance done and had more then the oil changed.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.