promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Phil
Lv 5
Phil asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

Time magazine said  " Warren's campaign strategy is based on wonkiness". What does that mean?

"based on wonkiness and economic populism". 

Update:

"Biden’s pitch to voters is moderation, electability and a callback to the halcyon days of the Obama Administration. Sanders seeks to expand the fiery leftist movement he built in 2016. Warren has staked her campaign on wonkishness and economic populism, while Harris paints herself as a crusader for justice. Buttigieg offers a combination of generational change and executive experience. To imagine each of them in the White House is to conjure five very different hypothetical presidencies"

"

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

In discussions of politics, wonkishness typically refers to a focus on the details of policies.  Most politicians -- responding to the media's focus on soundbites -- tend to talk about potential politics at a very general level that can be summed in a three or four word label (e.g. "medicare for all" vs. "medicare for all who want it").  

A couple of candidates get a reputation for actually being policy wonks -- being focused on the details of their proposals (like Bill Clinton) as opposed setting broad goals and letting staff work out the details (like Ronald Reagan).  In the case of Elizabeth Warren, one of her common sayings in this campaign is "I have a plan for that."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

A wonk is someone who has extensive knowledge about a topic, often public policy related.  So they're saying that Warren's campaign is based on her being an expert in policy issues.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Means she is a filthy, no good, loser.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Fake news.

Time Magazine didn't say that. That quote comes from Lou Bornmann's Blog, a wingnut, neoconservative blog, and was posted way back in 2018.  It's not about Warren, either.

The only incidence of the word "wonkiness" in Time Magazine in reference to the 2020 election appeared last year in its coverage of a Democratic Party debate as it quoted then candidate Williamson saying in her closing remarks, "We need a plan to solve institutionalized hatred, collectivized hatred and white nationalism, and in order to do that, we need more than political insider game and wonkiness and intellectual argument. Those things will not defeat Donald Trump. We need some radical truth telling."

UPDATE:

Yes, I'm accusing you of lying.

• ...Show all comments
    • Phil
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

See the extract and link for the article I have added as an update.
      I will accept your apology in due course.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.