Kaitlyn asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

Can I get disability?

I’m 20 years old and I’ve suffered from severe depression and anxiety through my whole life. I’ve seen over 7 different therapists from a young age and tried medication, which didn’t work. My most recent therapist told me that on top of depression and anxiety, I now have PTSD. I tried to work small part time jobs around age 13-17, but found it very hard to function at work. I went to college when I was 17 and dropped out the next year because I was extremely stressed, depressed, and could not function. I’m living with my boyfriend and switch around to my moms and grandmas houses. They all support me. Last year I applied for food stamps and was approved. I have my food stamps and received an insurance card as well, both help tremendously. It’s hard for me to go out alone and I have very bad social anxiety, even around my loved ones. I’ve been wondering if I can apply for disability and how would I go about doing it? Would I need to get an attorney and would I even pass for disability? Anything I can get would be a huge help, as I don’t have a job and cant support myself. Thanks in advance for your help in answering my questions! 

You can apply for Social Security disability but have no idea if you can get it.

At this point, I don't think depression and anxiety are considered life long disability unless you have spent years and years and years getting different treatments and medications for both conditions.

You havent worked long enough to pay into the system to qualify for disability.

The only thing you *might* be eligible for is SSI.. A welfare program. It will be next to impossible to get it based on depression and anxiety. The amount you get is also based on household income.

• Kaitlyn3 months agoReport

I believe PTSD, depression and anxiety are qualifications for SSI. So I may be able to get it. And on my food stamps application, I put myself as an independent and my income is nothing.