promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kaitlyn asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

Can I get disability?

I’m 20 years old and I’ve suffered from severe depression and anxiety through my whole life. I’ve seen over 7 different therapists from a young age and tried medication, which didn’t work. My most recent therapist told me that on top of depression and anxiety, I now have PTSD. I tried to work small part time jobs around age 13-17, but found it very hard to function at work. I went to college when I was 17 and dropped out the next year because I was extremely stressed, depressed, and could not function. I’m living with my boyfriend and switch around to my moms and grandmas houses. They all support me. Last year I applied for food stamps and was approved. I have my food stamps and received an insurance card as well, both help tremendously. It’s hard for me to go out alone and I have very bad social anxiety, even around my loved ones. I’ve been wondering if I can apply for disability and how would I go about doing it? Would I need to get an attorney and would I even pass for disability? Anything I can get would be a huge help, as I don’t have a job and cant support myself. Thanks in advance for your help in answering my questions! 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

You can apply for Social Security disability but have no idea if you can get it.

At this point, I don't think depression and anxiety are considered life long disability unless you have spent years and years and years getting different treatments and medications for both conditions.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

You havent worked long enough to pay into the system to qualify for disability.

The only thing you *might* be eligible for is SSI.. A welfare program. It will be next to impossible to get it based on depression and anxiety. The amount you get is also based on household income.

• Kaitlyn3 months agoReport

I believe PTSD, depression and anxiety are qualifications for SSI. So I may be able to get it. And on my food stamps application, I put myself as an independent and my income is nothing. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.