How to Learn Spanish Outside Class?

An online buddy of mine from Spain invited me to a discord server. Honestly, with three years of spanish I could understand a bit of it, but was very lost. I got into a vc with one girl, and tried to hold a conversation but found myself extremely limited. 

So far in order to pick up Spanish, I've checked out a book in the language. I've also been looking at watching things in Spanish. I feel like I might pick up some by virtue of texting them and reading the discord chats, but I'm eager to learn other ways too. I really want to talk to these people, get to know my friend's friends. However, I've got huge nerves and am at a loss for how to learn.

So, anyone know other ways to learn Spanish?

Movies, Music, News, also keep reading in it, that does a lot for learning comprehension. 

I would recommend using a language learning app. They often focus more on vocabulary than sentence structure or grammar, so i would recommend using Duolingo, because they have an experienced learner option in which people who already know a bit of spanish can focus more on vocab instead of grammar and stuff.