promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 2 months ago

What is the cheapest and fastest way to get from Albany, NY to Baltimore, MD besides driving?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Edd S
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Bus might be cheaper but since Greyhound doesn't have competition anymore a lot of their buses have dirty bathrooms and are dirty in general.    Once upon a time there was a  trailways bus company .  They had clean buses with roomy seats and large side windows that could be opened up.   They often had stops along the way like at a good diner or such.   While folks went in, company went into the bus and cleaned it. Folks I know that have used Greyhound all complain of tight seating, smells and circuitous routing.  The trip you want can be covered by region airlines which can be inexpensive.  Some use smaller planes so you will feel more like you are flying, oops a bump here and there.....no that is an exaggeration.    If thinking of a bus do to a depot and go inside some Greyhounds that are empty after folks have been unloaded.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

I would say a greyhound (or similar) bus would be the best option for you; that's what I would do, personally.

Before, I was going to say the train, which is faster, although maybe a little more expensive (as other people pointed out, you can't have fast and cheap). But I did a little bit of research and saw that the route is a little complicated, with a few connections that are easy to miss, so instead of a train I would suggest a bus, which you'd just be on for the whole time, with maybe one transfer at Port Authority. 

• kara2 months agoReport

Also, planes can be as low as $90 one-way if you get a cheap enough day and a cheap enough airline (the Greyhound was $68 I believe).

• 2 months ago

Flying is the fastest and can be reasonably economical if you don't want to drive.

• 2 months ago

Cheapest and fastest never go together. Choose one of those. Bus would be cheapest. Chartered plane would probably be fastest.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

How far in advance booking and time of day exact schedule varies the price.

If you have advanced booking long enough in advance at the right day and time, you can fly Southwest Airlines from Albany Airport to BWI Baltimore-Washington for $107 as one way on an hour and a half flight.

By ground:

There are two legs of the trip and three choices of transportation.

The stations of leaving, changing from one to another mode and arrival point vary.

You have Megabus as cheapest, Amtrak as fastest, Greyhound as a third choice.

They all go from Albany into Manhattan, NYC and then NYC to Baltimore.

You can mix and match.

Megabus can do it for under $40 to typical $45 but includes a couple of hours in NYC and books as two tickets.

It looks like Amtrak is most convenient once you leave on the train and looks like a $96 fare exists, but very select. Greyhound is a single ticket booking with transfer in NYC and looks like about $67.

It is 5 1/2 to about 8 1/2 hours plus time to and from each endpoint.

Megabus drops you off in NYC at

7th Ave and 27th St 

typical arrival schedules 1:40 PM, 4:55PM, 7:40PM or 10:55 PM

Fare starts at $12.50 to NYC

NYC to Baltimore leaves from 34th St at around 11th Ave

Buses throughout the day every couple of hours starting at $7.50

Monday March 16th 2020 on the 10:45AM bus from SUNY Albany for $12.50 arriving schedule 1:40 PM and hang around the city and walk to the bus to Baltimore White Marsh MTA leaving at 7:30PM for $7.50 arriving 10:50 at night, but only $20 to do it.

That's the cheapest possible.

• 2 months ago

Walking or swimming is the cheapest. If that takes too long, then bus is the cheapest that is reasonably fast.

Airplane or helicopter is the fastest.

• JR
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Probably train or bus

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Flying. Commercial air travel would be cheaper, but chartering a plane would be even faster. Also, flights can be had for cheaper than the cost of driving after you've added not just the cost of fuel and tolls but also the cost of vehicle depreciation and average maintenance cost that driving those miles incurs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.