promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Max asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Is There An Appliance That Sterilizes Plates and Cutlery With Steam?

I'm a germophobe and I live in a shared house. So we share the same sink and sponges when washing our dishes.

I'm just wondering is there a machine out there in which you can place your plates and cutlery after washing them, and this machine sterilizes all your plates with steam?

I know such a thing exists for baby food containers. But what about regular plates?

Not a dishwasher. Something compact and cheap and which works in just 10 minutes.

Update:

I could just buy a big dish, place all the plates in there and fill it up with boiling water from a kettle......but that's too cumbersome and inconvenient. It would be a great if there was a machine that'll just fill itself with steam or boiling water and sterilize it that way.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

There is.  I recently began volunteering at a Meals on Wheels which also serves lunches to Low Income residents living in an apartment complex just behind the building we use.  We wash all of the plates, cups, glasses, silverware, etc. and then place things on a rack and put into a dish washer looking thing that just sterilizes them.  I'm not sure what the brand name is but it's probably only available in 'industrial' kitchen settings.  Since you're in a shared house.....this won't be possible.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

all dishwashers heat the water to 70 degrees Celsius . At that temperature no bacteria can survive  

• Spock
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Set your dishwasher to " Sani-Wash ".....

This turns on the electric heater inside dishwasher to heat and dry at a higher temperature.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes, it is a dishwasher

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sure--use your microwave. Boil water in the microwave where you have put your plates and cutlery. 

The machine you are talking about is an autoclave. But wouldn't it be easier to simply use paper plates and plastic cutlery you could dispose of? You could keep them sealed in plastic bags out of reach of your roommates. Don't use sponges, they breed bacteria. But you CAN sterilize your sink before washing anything. Chlorine bleach is a good way to sterilize it and anything you wash in it. 

• 1 month ago

You could just add a few ounces of bleach when you wash your dishes.

The trouble is, if you're that much of a germaphobe, there's nothing to stop random germs and bacteria and grease floating around the kitchen from landing on your clean dishes after they're washed.

• 1 month ago

You could buy an autoclave. They're kind of expensive.

• 1 month ago

Why not just get a bowl and fill with boiling water and put your plates in there for a few minutes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most people find that dish soap is enough to make the plates squeaky clean.

• 1 month ago

That's what a dishwasher does.  When you use a dishwasher, you wash the dishes before you put them into it.  The dishwasher doesn't really wash them, it only sanitizes them with super-hot water.

I worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant (owned my my dad) and I took the course you have to take.  It explained that a restaurant dishwasher has to get the plates to 170 deg. f.  That kills all the germs.  The dishwasher has a thermometer on it and you watch it to make sure it gets to that temperature.  (Plus it gets the dishes so hot that they dry themselves!)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.