Can I use Onkyo speakers on Yamaha receiver?

Someone told me there might be compatibility issues but the Yamaha receiver uses the same ports as the Onkyo. Only difference is the Yamaha is 7.1 and Onkyo is 5.1. 

• Lance
    Favorite Answer

Compatibility or not depends on the Ohms rating for the speaker  and the ratings range  for the receiver... not the brand. Even with in brands compatibility will differ, from model to model...so a lot depends on the specific model number for both receiver and speaker whats going to work and what not going to work... ..So if you check in the manual for the receiver it will say what ohms range is acceptable. Also the speaker in question should also have a manual and inside the specs listing for the speaker the ohms rating should be listed...If you do not have a manual you can probably go on line and get one in PDF format.or at least a specs sheet that will give you the information you need...Sometimes on the back of the speaker the model and ohms rating is listed..With receivers you have to read between the lines sometimes Usually with a receiver the specs for a certain ohms range will be listed..if.  none is listed or  no ohms specs are listed that could mean its not compatible with that ohms range..Sometimes they will list the range of compatible speakers but sometimes not only an ohms rating.

The electrons flowing from the speaker jacks on your receiver (they aren't "ports" - that's a computer term) don't know what brand the speakers are. Electrons do not have brains. I know what I'm talking about. I was building speakers and connecting them to tube amplifiers when the only kind of amplifiers there were was tube amplifiers. 

dunno who why thumbs down the check impedance answers,,it is easy,,min 4 ohms,common are 6,8,16 ohms,

spacemissing lance and yours truly gave the right poop

For that type of receiver, simply make certain that 

the speakers have an impedance of at least 4 ohms each. 

• TomB

Probably...but it depends on the impedance ratings of both.

-  you may need to change a setting on the receiver to match the speakers.

SO, pls refer to your owner's manual before you let all the smoke leak out of the receiver and it stops working.

The Onkyo speakers will probably work just fine on the Yamaha.  There is a small chance that they are below the minimum ohm rating of the Yamaha but even then you probably can use them anyway as long as you do not play the system at super loud levels.  Your Yamaha is designed to protect itself pretty much in any situation so I would just try them.  I'll bet they work just fine.