Do I have to put that I have two jobs on my W4?

I just got hired at a restaurant and now have two part time jobs. Do I have to put that I have two on my W4? Stupid question, but I’m a minor and so I’ve never filed my own taxes and don’t remember filling a form like this out for my other job. Also, since I am a dependent I can’t claim any dependents and have none anyway so I can just put 0 for all the lines in step 3 of a W4 form right? I’m just afraid I’m doing this all wrong. Also, am I required by law to tell my other job that I got another part time job? I was planning to tell them in the summer since I hadn’t planned on getting a second job until the summer but got offered one by a friend and so I accepted. 

If you expect your total earnings from both jobs to be less than $12,200 all year, then it really doesn't matter - you will not owe any tax, and you will get a refund of any federal income tax they withhold. So the worst case scenario is that you end up loaning some money to the IRS and getting it back when you file.

If you expect your total income to be over $12,200 then you need to either do the worksheet for multiple jobs or check the box saying that you have 2 jobs - AND you need to submit an updated W4 to your current employer.

That's because if your income is over $12,200 you are going to pay some income tax (and not get all of it back) and if you don't set your W4 correctly you could end up not having enough withheld - which would mean you would have to send money to the IRS at the end of the year and could face penalties if you can't pay the tax bill by April 15th.

If you think you'll earn more than $12,200 but you don't want to mess with the worksheet then just check the box that you have 2 jobs (do this for BOTH jobs) - they will withhold at least enough, possibly too much tax so again your worst case situation is that you loan the IRS some money and get it back when you file your tax return.

If you don't want to touch the W4 at the old job then write the total amount you think you'll earn at the old job all year on line 4a for the form you turn in to your new job.

Another option is to have the new job withhold extra taxes on line 4C - but you have to calculate your projected tax liability and then make sure they withhold enough from this job to cover what should have been withheld from the other job, which is a lot more complicated and easier to screw up.

And no matter what you do, just leave section 3 blank since you don't have dependents.

No law requires you tell one job about the other. Claiming 0 if you have two jobs is smart.

• Shay

Marking on the W-4 that you have a second job means that they are more likely to take the correct amount of taxes out of your check.

In fact, you should update your W-4 with your other job to mark that you have two jobs.

If you don't do this, it is very likely that you would owe more taxes at the end of the year when you fill out your tax return.  

Legally, you don't have to tell one employer about a second employer.  You are not required to tell either job about your other job.  However, most people find that it is easier for scheduling if both jobs know what days you are not available because of the other job.  

No you don't.                  

i think you do, i would go to a tax place and ask them to help you with it

• Judy

If you full out each w-4 like it's your only job, they won't take enough out, and you'll probably owe a lot when you file instead of getting a refund, and mayv=be have to pay a penalty besides.

You can claim yourself. You don't have to tell about another job. In fact, you'll find that they would rather you not say unless they ask. You add up the total amount you made for the year. Subtract the deduction you get from the government. Then use that number to find out how much you owe. Then subtract that number from how much tax was taken out of your pay for the year and that determines if you get a refund or you owe more tax.

• rustbucket
      1 month agoReport

You can get at your local library, post office and other places an 8 1/2 x 11 booklet the should clear up what she has to do also being a dependant. The booklet is available now at libraries free.

The form changed for 2020.

You don't have to but it helps to get taxed properly.

- if you don't include your 2nd job on the main portion of the W4.  You should request additional withholdings (you have to specify an amount).  Or you should expect to owe taxes when you file.