Matthew asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

4k TV and old receiver question?

I just got a new 4k TV which supports HDMI ARC. But my current amp only support 1080p passthrough. If I just wanna watch content on the apps on TV, does the passthrough matter? Like if I watch Netflix app on the TV, will I get sound through ARC and maintain 4k?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

The receiver's 1080p limit will only affect video that's passing through the receiver. If you're getting 4K from an app on the TV or from something else that's directly connected to the TV and only the audio is going to the receiver (over ARC) then you'll have 4K video still.

• not at all in my opinion

You need a receiver that also supports ARC. 

Try it to find out, some good made TV able to compatible it.

So what you really need is AUDIO from the TV right?  If the TV has a headphone jack just get a standard 3.5mm to RCA cable (available everywhere).  The TV might also have red/white RCA audio out or optical or digital audio out.  There are cheap adapters on Amazon that will convert either one to RCA analog.  What you are trying to do is pretty easy as long as you can find some way to get analog audio from the TV.