Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is a dalmatian a good breed of dog?

• F

Unless you have 101.............

Any breed of dog can be a good dog with proper training and attention. It just depends more on if it fits what you're looking for. Some dogs require jobs and are very hyper while others are more laid back and fine with short walks. Some dogs are also easier to train or more stubborn and difficult. Dalmatians in particular are known to be loyal and intelligent. However, they can be really energetic so that should be considered as well. It's always good to do research on different dog breeds to figure out what breed is best for you and your lifestyle. Another thing to consider as well is where you get your puppy from, you want to make sure the puppies parents have been tested and are healthy as well good in nature. If the parents are poorly socialized or aggressive this could become an issue with the puppies.

I think so. I have a 16 yr old female. She has been a great dog. They do tend to be more aggressive than they used to be. BYBers are ruining every breed they can get their hands on. She is a really poor example of the breed but she is still a Dalmatian. They go back many thousand yrs from Egypt & would run a long beside the carriages & serve as guard dogs at night around the camp.

The movie 101 Dalmatians started people into breeding their pets (BYBers) & didn't do any genetic testing or selective breeding tactics & many don't even get to see a Vet, prior or after whelp. Be careful who you buy from. You can easily get scammed & screwed if you don't know what you are looking for.

You can see if there is a Dalmatian rescue in your state or nearby. If you are looking for a well bred dog you can contact the National Breed Club & find out where the reputable breeders are in your state.

I used to say the Doberman was my favorite breed but this Dal has changed my mind. I really like her temperament, a bit testy at times but has never bit. Backed her into a corner, oh that is a different story.

• Chloe

I have been into dog obedience and agility for years and I'm not going to lie it's like there's a 50% chance it may be a bit too aggressive especially for a family with small children.  When the movie(s) first came out there was an enormous amount of puppy mills breeding the heck out of them and most people thought they would be all friendly and great family dogs which was not always the case.  Hence, tons were given to shelters and pounds and a few lucky handful into foster rescue homes.   You definitely would want to meet the parents and check their temperament since a lot of that is heredity.  You also want to make sure the people are not running a puppy mill (a warning sign is you hear a lot of barking and they don't let you check out the premises, I learned the hard way with a maltese).  

What is your definition of good?

• Jojo

Exactly.....`GOOD` can mean a lot of things.

Not really.  They are prone to health issues, difficult to train and hyperactive.

The role they once played has been obsolete for years, and the breed hasnt been able to fill another niche as a working dog.

They are literally only kept in existance because of the unique eye-catching spotted coat.   In all reality, it wouldnt be a loss if the breed was allowed to go extinct.

• Sarah2 months agoReport

I think that's very sad. A lot of good dog breeds are becoming genetic messes with tons of health issues and some straight up deformed because people think it looks good. Not to mention mental issues, seems like quite a few breeds can be difficult and aggressive from poor breeding.

i think theyre a good breed

For the right owner they can be. You need to really research the breeders though and making sure the one you're going to not only has awards from the conformation ring but also makes sure the dogs they breed arent carriers or sufferers of breed related health issues.

You need to capitalize Dalmatian.   Dalmatians come from Dalmatia, an area of Croatia.

They may have once been ok dogs, but once again North Americans have ruined yet another breed.   As much as I love Dalmatians, the breed now has a lot of neurotic biters.   These are no longer family dogs. 

• Chloe

Very true.

Not really, dalmatians are very prone to various health issues