Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Rude to send real estate listing for new home to jerk relative?

I am buying a new apartment: in midtown Manhattan, in a nice building.  The purchase price is just over seven figures.  That’s low-income housing for Manhattan, but it’s still expensive by normal US standards.

My uncle has always hated me and said that I am nothing.  

I’d love it if my mother send a link to the webpage where my new apartment is shown (including the purchase price) to my uncle.  The purchase price is significantly higher than his home value.  

There’s also a link to the building overall, listing all apartments for sale, so that wouldn’t be directly showing the purchase price but it would show the prices of all apartments there (which are mostly higher than mine). I’d love it if she would send that, in the alternative.

Rude for me to ask her to do that?

Thanks.

I'm paying all-cash for the apartment.  

My co-workers say it's "beautiful": it's near the top of a 40-story building, with nothing blocking a view of Central Park and the East River. It's a newish building (built in the 1990s).

Being childish and being able to buy a home are not opposites.

Sounds like this is a very bad idea.  Thanks, I'll not do this then.

• Jon
    Favorite Answer

A better idea would be simply to enjoy your life. 

You have enough resources to pay cash for a "seven-figure" apartment, but you felt the need to come to Y!A and ask if you should be childish and throw your "success" in someone's face.

This is highly unbelievable.

i probably wouldnt do it, if hes being a jerk you might not want him to know where you are

A listing doesn't prove you bought anything.

• Nancy

So what your uncle will gather from that is you are an uppity fool leveraging yourself to the hilt in debt, probably beyond what you can afford, to buy the bargain-basement cheapest apartment in the building and an apartment that he will certainly see as laughably tiny, poorly appointed, and so not worth the money, leading him to lean over to whomever is standing nearby and say, "A fool and his money are soon parted," at which point they will both have a good laugh. He will certainly see right through your ploy and so see that you are desperate for his approval, desperate for him to "ooh" and "ahh" and finally be put in his place for his past judgments, as if this proves them to be misjudgments, a satisfaction that he will never, ever give you but instead will hand back to you even more judgment and even more derision to piss you off even that much more and make you even more desperate in your "I'll show him" attitude, meaning your weak attempt to beat him with a mind game will only turn into him winning that mind game and you being humiliated and frustrated.

You think with this ploy of yours to have your mom send him that will be attacking him from a position of strength, but your emotional desperation means you are attacking him from a position of weakness, which he will surely exploit to win the day by pointing out that you've spent an exorbitant amount of money on an apartment the size of a postage stamp that is the worst in its building, and you arguing "but it's Manhattan" will only get flipped around on you to underscore his point that you are too big for your britches and out of your depth, to mix metaphors.