Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPC · 1 month ago

Why can't I get the images of videos on my  PC?

I'm high tech illiterate & need some help with solving a layman's enigma, concerning my PC. It doesn't show the images on many online videos I try to watch, though the sound is there. 

It's on older PC that I am just using until I can have repaired or replace my other one. First this PC is a windows 7, I know it's no longer supported by Microsoft but doubt that to be the reason. 

Here are the specs

AMD 245 Processor 2.90 GHz, 4GB memory, 64-bit OS.

It is an "Entry Level" PC as I couldn't afford any better at the time. I understand that is a hindrance in it's performance. 

The short of it is, what is the most likely reason Some videos images just don't play on this PC (Videos that do play on my smartphone). If it just needs another graphic card, I can get it.

I also wounder if it's actually the monitor. A Dell St2220L (Anolog).

OK. That's all the info I can give and hoping the solution is an inexpensive one.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

It is hard to diagnose these problems remotely. One thing to try which may or may not work is to clear your browser's history and cache. In most browsers, you can press Ctrl Shift Del on your keyboard and a menu/page should appear asking what you want to erase. Choose everything to delete (except for saved passwords if you have/need them) and allow it to work. Once it is done erasing the history and cache. Close your browser and open it again. Try a video website and see if it plays fine.

It is most likely not a graphics card/monitor issue because otherwise you would have problems seeing the entire screen, not just a video file.

People install a "codec" that takes the video file information and translates it to what your video system can show.

VLC is one of the better video stream players that will work with almost any format.  Get it for free from www.vlan.org