promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Zac asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Can I get a green card if my aunt and uncle are US citizens?

I am a Canadian citizen currently studying in the US on an F-1 Visa. I want to stay here upon the completion of my program and obviously the easiest way to do this would be to obtain a green card. My aunt and uncle are US citizens. Is there any way they can help me to get a green card? I'm 23 so I don't think they can adopt me lol. If they can't do anything what type of visa should I try to get. I have a BA in film and media studies and am currently doing a post-grad certificate program at UCLA in digital marketing. I am hoping to do something with marketing in the film field.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your first problem is that one of the requirements for an F-1 visa is sufficient family ties to your home country for the U.S. government to believe that you will return there and will not try to stay in the U.S. If you tell them that your aunt and uncle are U.S. citizens and that you want to stay here after the completion of your program, it may be harder to renew your F-1 visa.

Your second problem is that getting a green card with the use of a relative can take up to 20 years.

Your third, and most serious, problem is that your aunt or uncle may not be able to directly help you. Instead, you may need to do this in two stages. First, they help their sibling, your parent, get a visa and then a green card; then you wait several more years for your parent to become a citizen; and finally your parent helps you to do it. However, by the time this gets done, it may already be time for you to retire. Also, if anyone who is a link in the chain dies before their part is finished, then the whole thing falls apart and you're screwed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That does not qualify you for a green card.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No...............................

• 2 months ago

No way your aunt & uncle could sponsor you for immigration. Only immediate relatives can sponsor, if they earn enough & meet other requirements. Depending on your relationship to your sponsor, e.g. a US-citizen sibling, you will return to your own country & wait up to 13 years for your interview for an immigration visa.

You do NOT qualify for any type of employment visa. Furthermore, so much production of "American" films & TV shows is actually done in Canada, your job opportunities are far greater in Canada. Until you are an internationally renowned actor, director, producer, & qualify for an artiste visa, there's nothing in film, TV, media for you in US. The US market is very glutted, and the majority of grads will never find any job in the field. Go home as soon as you complete your studies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your aunt and uncle can’t sponsor you but the bar for US/Canada intra immigration is pretty low so just make sure the field you’re studying is on the TN list and you can go the work visa route.

• 2 months ago

No.  You can only be sponsored for immigration by a spouse, parent, or sibling. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.