Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why is my food still bland even after I add a lot of seasonings. I recently made baked chicken it was so bland?

I added TONS of garlic powder, tons of onion powder cayenne pepper tons of smoked paprika miss dash garlic and herb seasoning black pepper. I didn't add salt because those seasonings already contain salt. I also marinated for 12 hours and then baked it

If they have any, they don't have enough salt.  Most of the ones you listed have NONE for sure.  Try adding salt, unless you can't, in which case, you'll have to get used to bland food.  

• IvaB

Personally I prefer brineing chicken over a wet marinade.As pointed out already,the spices you added contain very little salt,which salt is key to getting flavor into the chicken (the brine will take care of that).Also,adding spices to the chicken surface/skin add very little flavor to the meat underneath.I prefer to brine,then add spices underneath the skin,and also on the surface,then let it set in the fridge for a few hours to absorb flavor,and then cook.Also,dry the chicken well with paper towels before roasting,or frying.  😃

• CB

Add salt, most if not all of those seasoning don't have salt -read the ingredient list. The herb season may but likely not enough.

your taste buds are shot.

• ckngbbbls

yeah and NONE of what you added includes salt, particularly Mrs. Dash, which is an advertized salt free seasoning.

You didn't brine and you didn't char. And you might have used breast meat which some people swear by for flavor indeed but most will not, calling it bland no matter what they do to it.

Here's a simple set up you can add to as you choose but keep in mind I'm imparting the science of it. Without these steps you don't have what you are looking for. One example is hot sauce or lemon might make it taste very different but the acid is the important part of the science.

Take your chicken parts and put them in a big, deep tupperwear. Do in fact pour tons of salt on it. Not caked but a decent layer on the surface noting the surface bleeds into 3 inches deep of meat. Put in fresh cut onion, garlic, hot or sweet peppers, dry herbs, lockets of hair, whatever you like but not acid yet. Let that sit for at least 24 hours.

Cook it on really low, 325 or less for hours until 75% cooked then either grill it, seer it, or broil it enough to get a char. Not as much as my roommate makes instant oatmeal smoke up the house but to caramelize the sugar and get some texture. Then let it rest for 15 mins without any added heat. After the crusting, add your acid, hot sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, wine, etc.

You can play with the ingredients. A lemon honey chicken leg is just a dressing on this same idea. As is butter honey, Valentia sauce and sour cream, curry/hummus, blackened Tabasco, Sriracha and Tamari over rice, southern brown sugar BBQ, etc etc etc. The science of the meat is there, you can dress the body as you wish.

since when do any of those spices have salt?..next time use regular paprika...not smoked..and also..if you baked it in a closed container, the liquids could have boiled the chicken if there was too much of it, washing out all those spices and filling it with water..making it taste like watered down chicken nothing

Could there by something wrong with your ability to smell? If you have a problem with smell then you can't taste. Can you smell the strength of the spices? And are they old? That affects spice's taste, too.

Grilling or sauteing adds flavor.   Cooking method matters.