Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

Can adrenaline break down muscle tissue?

I had a sudden Adrenaline rush after my mate prank jump scared me. It was a quick thing and I had an intense chest workout earlier that day. Will this hinder my recovery and growth. I hear adrenaline rush can release catabolic hormones and break down muscle tissues.

• Todd
    Favorite Answer

Well adrenaline can and does momentarily dissolve not only muscle, but ligaments and tendons as well. The reason for this is to enhance flexibility in a fight or flight situation. It's harmless if it only happens once in a while, but chronic doses of hormones that do this to the body can have long term effects. Physicians now believe this is a major factor of tendinitis in rock climbers and not just excessive physical strain like previously thought. In any case, Your brief shock has no effect whatsoever on anything. Adrenaline is harmless in spot doses.

• Zirp

not directly

" I hear adrenaline rush can release catabolic hormones and break down muscle tissues."

that's an urban myth at best

Yeah, you're effed