My mom is renting out the whole of our house and she gets over half of her monthly rent paid by housing benefit. ?

my mother rented a three bedroom house that has one bathroom, kitchen and conservatory. 

Housing benefit partially towards her rent and I’m moving out soon due to her stubbornness and thinking she’s above the law. 

*** She has rented my little brother s room out, rented her own bedroom out and wants to put my one on rent soon as I leave this week. She’s sharing the living room with my lil brother that’s 7 years old and a Male. He’s quite intelligent for his age too but doesn’t understand he’s been deprived of his right and privacy. She has moved all of his stuffs from his room downstairs under the staircase and putt a bed in living room for him and her to share and the three bedroom in the house will be rented out. I overheard her trying to rent out the conservatory as well, she works too, leave him at home with the tenant and goes to work. I study and work.

In total there will be about 5 adults and a kid in the house with access to one bathroom. 

I want to look out for my lil brother, it truly breaks my heart that he’s been put in a situation he has no control of. What should I do? The house is crowded. Council pay literally over half of the rent. I don’t want them to take him away from her, please I need advice on what to do. And yes it’s my business as he’s my brother and been taking advantage of. I don’t care if she lives in the living room and At least give him one room, the council pay for that room for him!

Then report her to the housing benefit people.

• MR ed

wow.....................................

What a rotten mother.  I agree with you.  At the very least, she should have allowed your younger brother to keep his room, or have one of the rooms.  You need to inform the housing authority what she has done - all of it.

There is the law from a painter named Moliere who portraits it all in the french revolution Danton for example goes to the guillotine long ago with Gerard Depardieu and the brand new querelle is the kings and queens they ended beheaded also for democracy so wevare based on a revolution so long ago based on automated suicide on the thing is based on a democracy all ended dead.

She's committing fraud you can report her to the government agency that's paying her rent and to the landlord.

• Tavy

She is committing fraud in 2 ways, sub letting and earning an income while claiming HB.

So what do you want to do?Tell the landlord and have them all evicted?HB will prosecute her.

Your choice.

UK

You can tell the benefits providers but they'll remove the benefit. at a minimum, and possibly put your brother in protectrive services, though I doubt it. They could also demand back a lot of the money they have already given her, though its not clear if she coudl pay. They could possibly bring charges against her though thats probably not worth the effort; but there are a lot of things they could do and even just removing the housing benefit might be a huge problem.

Option 2 is to do nothing as your brother is probably making do with the arrangement and she is only doing what she can to get by.

Option 3 is to tell her to cut it out or you'll tell the authorities, though this'll cause major family problems and its not clear if she'll change anything at all.

I kinda feel like you should just let this one go. Anything you do might cause more problems than it solves though she could be due for major problems down the road anyhow (from someone else), but its your call.

It's not just your brother that's at risk; your mother will lose her house if she's found to be renting it out (I would expect her lease to specifically prohibit this)

Well, if she gets caught, she going to be done for benefit fraud and if the landlord finds out she's sub letting, she'll be evicted. Just make sure you've got a place for your brother to stay with you.

• chris2 months agoReport

He has his own dad. They wouldn’t let me have him even if I wanted to. He has his own house and does the same lol it’s madness. He’s renting all of his out too. It’s a win not win confusing situation.