my parental rights were terminated voluntarily almost 20 years ago. Would i have any rights to my grand children?

I do not practice family law, or any type of law for that matter.

In some states, grandparents do have rights.If one gives up their parental rights, in the eyes of the law,  they are no longer the legal parent. Biologically speaking, they will always be the parent as they share DNA. You disowned your child 20 years ago. You signed legal documents to forfeit any rights that a parent would typically have in the child's life. Like it never happened, like that child was never yours to begin with.Not quite the anology I want, but imagine you gave your dog away. Then the dog had a litter of puppies. You have no rights to those puppies.Yes, puppies are a far cry from grandchildren. I realize that, of course.I would imagine that the best thing to do is to reconnect with your adult child and do what you can to forge a relationship with them, moving forward with honesty and understanding.Emotionally speaking, when a parent abandons their parental responsibility, it typically leaves a lifetime of wounds and scars on the child their whole life through. With that comes trust issues. How are you going to earn trust?Most parents wiould give their lives to protect their children  especially from the hurts, pain and disappointment's they incurred during their own childhood. Would you blame your adult child from protecting their children from you popping in and out of their lives?Just by the nature of your question  I am guessing you screwed up with your kid and now that you are older and wiser, you have regrets and want to be a grandparent because for whatever reasons, you could not be a parent. If I were you, I would make peace with your child and if successful, then perhaps you can grandparent. But, don't you dare put that family through the expense of a court battle and further instill emotional pain on the child you abandoned all those years ago. If you are rejected, consider it karma and walk away.

Grandparents have virtually no legal rights regarding their grandchildren in most states. Having your parental rights terminated would mean you have even fewer legal rights regarding your grandchildren.

As soon as your parental rights are terminated, voluntarily or not, you are legally no more related to them than you are to me.

Even if your parental rights had not been terminated, you don't necessarily have rights as a grandparent. As yo didn't say what country you are in, that is harder to determine.

No, because TPR includes the rights that flow from that relationship

No. Terminated is final.

• lare

you might, but only if you can prove the papers you signed were fraudulent and thus null and void.

Your bio children are now adults.  You have zero rights to them even if you raised them for 18 years. 

As far as the law is concerned, you don't have any grandchildren. You are considered a "stranger" to them, as well as your own children.

Not at all, no. You have no legal relationship to your child, and by extension, their children.

No. Even if you had not terminated them.

• Larissa1 month agoReport

What if they are being abused