promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

How long is Speech Therapy beneficial?

If a low verbal autistic 11 year old child has been in speech therapy since 18 months and special ed since 3 (countless teachers, OTs, STs. and ABA therapists) and is still not speaking in sentences or clearly, should he continue in speech therapy?  At what point do you accept "this is about as good as it's going to get"?  I ask because the child has been dismissed from several therapists for behavior. 

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

of course it can be beneficial for life, but it does not have to be for verbal language.  speech therapy can work on gesture and picture communication.

i worked with kids with very difficult behaviors---aggressive, danger to themselves.  no professional I ever worked with refused to work with a specific child because of behaviors, we know that is part of the job.

my  guess is the therapists are being too rigid and not working within what he can tolerate.

if you can find a speech therapist experienced with green span's DIR, it may work out better.

while good ABA can be very helpful, too many ABA therapists are very rigid and not child focused.  they don't adapt to the students needs and abilities and you end up with worse behavior.

i have also seen kids act out because they are treated like they are stupid...they are forced to work on very simple skills that they actually know, but are bored, so they act out.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.