promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do people say “I thought I told you to...”?

For example, if your mom asks you to clean your room and she comes back 45 minutes later and your room is still not clean or you have not even started to clean it she says “I thought I told you to clean your room?”  Why are the words “I thought” used when in fact, your mom did not think she told you to clean your room—she DID tell you to clean your room?  It just doesn’t make any sense.  You don’t you tell someone to do something, because you DID tell them.  

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Rhetorical question begging you to try to deny it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's like saying "Do my eyes deceive me? I could have sworn I told you to clean your room, but I must not have, or you would have done it."

She is angry, and being sarcastic with you because:

1. You should have done it without being told. You aren't a little kid any more.

2. Failing that, you should have done it immediately upon being told. Have you no pride?

3. You are acting as though your mom were your personal servant or something. Do you seriously expect her to clean it for you, or to accept her child's living in a pigsty?

4. So clean your damn room already.

• RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, you're correct that, logically and literally, this seems to make no sense, but it is a gentler, more subtle way of asking someone why they didn't do what was requested the first time they were told to do it.

• 2 months ago

It's sarcasm. It's a warning that she's about to blow up. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.