Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

What am I supposed to do with my stocks? ?

I bought a couple stocks, and they have gone up, and that's great, but these are companies that will continue to go up, so I'm holding on to them, but then it's money I don't have since I can't really spend it..

My first stock was the Beyond stock. It went up significantly.

And then it went down.. and I ended up selling it for a whole 10 profit

Now I have some other stocks.. And they have gone up pretty nicely! But I feel like I'm going to make the same mistake.. Hold onto them until they go down and then make no money 😒

I don't understand the concept of having stocks!

Favorite Answer

Maybe you shouldn't be in the market until you learn some of the basics of investing/trading and learn to follow the rules.

NEVER go into a stock position unless you know when you're going to get out.  

If a position goes down 8%-10% - get out of it.

If you have a profit that meets your satisfaction - take your profit, no one ever loss money taking profits, at the very least place a trailing stop order to protect your profit.

NEVER have 100% of your capital invested at any one time.

Some day you'll learn, any body can pick stocks to buy, but those that make the big money are those that know when to sell.

Source(s): from The Street
  • Dr. D

You can always expect stocks to go up and down. Sounds like you're attracted to volatile stocks in the hopes of hitting the jackpot. Unfortunately those stocks are rough on your stomach. Smart investors are patience, make plans, set targets, and know why those targets are achievable. Even so, smart investors aren't anywhere close to perfect - they just need to have more winners than losers. 

we need to know your investment time frame. if you don't "understand the concept of having stocks" then you should be investing in companies based on professional recommendations and then "set it and forget it". set up a stop loss at -25% or more original purchase price. don't even look at where the performance is going after that unless you find a better potential stock to transfer the value of those shares into or have more to invest in the original stock. alternately, invest in a professionally managed and highly rated index fund, you'll likely come out ahead of what you'd get by investing without knowing what you're doing.

if you don't know what you're doing you're going to be eaten alive by trying to "time the market" as if everybody else smarter than you wasn't also doing the same thing but faster than you.

it's not true that Stocks are a Zero Sum Game but it's best to think of investing this way. In other words, pretend that for you to make money, someone else MUST lose an equal amount of money. this is generally true and always true in short term trading. you're apt to be the long-term loser if you don't know what you're doing.

If you do not understand the concept of having stocks you shouldn't be investing in them.

Do you even know what a stock actually is?

Get yourself a basic investing education.