promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

can someone help me understand the old question about V-RAM?

awkward question but Yahoo Answers only allows questions in the form of, well, 'questions', umm...with 'forced' question mark.

anyway, some articles i found say that V-RAM (virtual) allows the computer/system to load large programs that we wouldn't be able to if we have shortage of P-RAM (physical), but they run slowly.#1 : what's the difference with having a shortage of P-RAM? because i can still run many or large programs and they also run slowly (the memory activity reached 100%)i have a decent PC (Core i5 and Nvidia GTX 1050), but the only problem is i only have 8GB of P-RAM. if the system reserves 2GB, the VGA takes 2GB, and a game needs 4GB, the memory activity will reach at least ~95%, then the game gets laggy/choppy.#2 : if i convert some of my free memory (either from HDD or external) into 4GB of V-RAM, i know it won't make anything any faster, but will it at least make the game run normally? or at least a bit smoother? will it have any considerable difference?

Update:

i'm sorry the texts look a bit jumbled up, but it looked tidy and wasn't like that when typed everything, i swear.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

ok so you are getting ram types mixed up.

VRAM is VIDEO ram (its only on dedicated graphics cards)

Virtual memory (note the different name) is a file on your hard drive which can be used as ram (its VERY slow)

ram (not pram) is the physical stuff on the system that is used system wide.

virtual memory is only useful when you would otherwise crash due to lack of ram. it is FAR better to buy more ram. ram is generally 5+ times faster than even the fastest SSD on the market.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

V-Ram is a file on your hard drive. Accessing the hard drive is hundreds of time slower than access physical RAM. Thus it will always be slower than physical RAM.

However, they way Windows (and most OS) work is that if physical memory becomes completely full, it will set up a swap file and move parts of the program or data to the swap file until you need to access it. Thus slowing the computer.

You have seen this many times. You are working in a large document, for example, and you scroll down and every stops for a couple of seconds while it has to load the new page back into memory before it can show it. That is a swap file being accessed.

The only difference is that when you set up V-RAM, the computer preassigns it before you need it and keeps it available all the time at the preset size. While with a swap file, it only creates the file when you need and changes its size as needed. So there is a slight speed advantage to using V-RAM. It is already set up when you need it.

Note: Using a USB memory stick on a 3.0 USB port may be faster then using a swap file. You can assign V-RAM to a USB stick. You can not (easily) assign a swap file to a USB stick. Also, external hard drives are always much slower than internal drives. Do not use an external hard drive for V-RAM.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.