Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Should I pay my brother or is he being unfair ?

Last year my dad gave me his old vehicle. GAVE. Legally transferred and everything. Not borrowed not leased not loaned. I did not ask for it either. It was given as a gift. Since then I have spent hundreds of dollars from my own pocket to repair it.

Now that I am about to sell it to try to get a better vehicle, my elder brother is demanding that i give him a slice of the sale because he bought the vehicle for dad originally.

I have not EVEN  bought a new vehicle yet. Im not even sure IF the sale will give me enough money to buy a better vehicle, yet my brother is already making this demand.

Whilst I understand his point about the money he spent initially buy the vehicle for Dad...I have spent ALL my savings repairing this vehicle in the last 6 months....I need this money. I wish he never asked that...because I hate it whe  family argues over money.

Favorite Answer

Bro is being ANAL.  You were GIVEN the vehicle by your dad...meaning dad did not feel he owed brother anything.  You already bought the vehicle as you put in money for repairs.

"because he bought the vehicle for dad originally." meaning he gifted it to dad.  There was no "conditions" on a gift then,and dad did not put conditions of the gift NOW.

Tell bros to pound "sand"

The beauty of this is your dad gave you the car. It was in your father's name and he transferred the ownership to you.Your brother drove it but he never owned it. Had he been the owner, he would've sold it or given it to you, not your father. Your brother has no legal recourse, but you do. Enjoy your car and what as you will. Like another answer said, your brother is a tool and is trying to get something for nothing. 

He is being a complete and utter tool

• zipper

It was given to you not him, plus you made all the repairs out of your pocket, he may not like it one bit but he has NO LEGAL CLAIM On that vehicle in any way shaqpe or form!

• F

He has a point. I think it would be fair to give him half of what you get AFTER recouping your repair costs. If that is actually nothing, so be it. If it is less than nothing, ask him if he still wants his share?

your dad gave it to you as a gift. You can do whatever you want to do with it.

Up to you but I'd tell him to get bent.

He has no grounds for a claim. Just tell him to back off.

From the sale cost take off all you have spent on the car's upkeep.

If there is anything left then have a discussion with your brother.

Probably along the lines of "take a hike bro."

Your dad gave it to you so it is yours and you don't have to give your brother anything. I see his point since he bought it so if you can afford to give him some money it would be worth it to keep harmony in the family. If you can't afford to give him anything explain that to him and tell him that sometime in the future you will make it right.

• Jerry1 month agoReport

I have been paying 100s of dollars in repairs for 6 months now, during that time , all my brothers told me was "welcome to the life of vehicle ownership. Nobody helped me pay repairs and nobody said anything about paying them back....so why is he asking for money now that Im
        selling it?