promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Were all Boomers once hippies, or something related?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No....I was what was called a `Rocker. Rockers were into Motorbikes and rock music. Then there were the `Mods` who were into Scooters and liked Soul music and Ska. There was often fighting between the two cults.

Hippies were the peaceful cult that believed in free live and flower power and were into Bob Dylan type music. Looking back it was all a bit silly and typical of teenage life in the late 50`s to the early 70`s when it all started to change as Mods, Rockers and Hippies matured into adults. Although now and then the `die hards` can still be seen now and then and refusing to let old age and new fads take them over.

Source(s): 74 year old Ex Rocker. UK
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Snid
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not really.  Boomers are a specific group of people not just old people.  Not everyone was a hippie either.  Sure, we almost all acted younger than we do now but.....

• 2 months ago

I lived in California. More of a surfer dude.  BUt also into psychedelic drugs. But I never bought fully into the lifestyle of renouncing all material things.

Didn't like liveing out in the woods as many did. But it was fun times 

• Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Boomers weren't hippies; and hippies weren't boomers. They weren't related to one another in any way - neither politically nor culturally.

"Boomer" is short for "baby boomers", which are people born during the baby boom (sharp increase in birthrates) after World War II. This generation generally includes anyone born in the US between 1946–1965, a time of great economic prosperity. 

The people who came to be called"Hippies" were prevalent in the late 1960's through the 1970's, a time of political turmoil and assassinations in the US,  and the Vietnam War. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, hippies were only ever a small part covering a relatively short length of time while the baby boom went on for so long that some of the first boomers had a child of their own before the baby boom ended.  My folks were in the vanguard of the boom, literally VE day babies.  They were too old to be hippies.  My mother definitely had Mod leanings and used to sew the costumes for local Mod bands.

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No we were not all hippies. BUT it started in the 60s when we were young and full of love and energy.

• 2 months ago

No. Boomers are children born after the end of WW2. There was a significant increase in child births during this time.

• 2 months ago

No.  While I am a boomer (born in 1959), I am a bit young to have been a hippie, and, not all people then were.  They were only a percentage of the population.

• 2 months ago

Nah, was the same as now, hipsters--hippies in the cities, everywhere else, no. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, just like all Millennials haven't been hipsters, nor "something related," whatever that's supposed to mean.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.