Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 1 month ago

India was a gender equal country before British and Islamic invasion. Do you agree?

Hinduism values women and respects women. That is due to Islam and and British christianity which made India a sexist nation.

Favorite Answer

Yes India used to be a safe country for women to travel through, alone.  I'm not sure what changed and why their men have started to hate women.

• Bill
      1 month agoReport

Ummm..no. India was not a great place for women to travel alone anytime recently. It has however gotten worse due to the economic decline of men in certain areas of the country. 

• No other at all in my opinion

Like totally, that's why they burned women alive.

Far from it.   

No. Expecting widows to throw themselves on their dead husbands' funeral pyres is not a sign of a sexually egalitarian society.

Nope!  Their men belong to a not real GOD religion and cannot feel the LOVE we do. So their men are extra power hungry, always wanting to control ALL they can!  So each man even sells his daughters to others!    Sometimes  a daughter may escape and get here. The male relatives then come and force them into their hands and even sell them in the USA! 

One did escape for India, people protected her in the USA. Then they had to go on a trip. Male relatives found her and sold her to a motel own in NJ in 1975!   I have spent decades writing to her. Did I ever get even one letter back? Nope! Was she ever given even one of my letters? 

Based on how men/women acted in what I've read of ancient Indian literature, they seemed pretty similar to other societies this way. Maybe slightly less because the cast system made people so unequal based on other factors. Not saying either of those invasions was ok and neither was great for women but most ancient cultures were bad for women, including India.

• Ganon
      1 month agoReport

At least compared to how women are treated in most countries now.

• Bill

No, I don't agree. You might as well be arguing that China was gender neutral before communism because Taoism is gender neutral. 

• patty

do u blame Britain for a bunch of indian men raping and killing a young girl