Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Can autism be passed on through offspring?

So I have high-functioning autism/Aspergers Syndrome.

I'm currently engaged.  My fiancé wants to have kids.  I'm worried that my MILD autism may cause my son to have SEVERE autism.  

Am I anymore likely to have a kid with autism than a neurotypical (person without autism)?

Correction. You have MILD Autism, not "high functioning". Using the phrase "high functioning" implies that you've failed at something. It's called using people first language, which is something that EVERYONE needs more practice at doing. I have mild Autism too, and I have never referred to myself as being "high functioning" at anything.

As for whether or not you will pass on your Autism, that really depends upon what caused it in the first place. If it was due to birth trauma, the way it was with me, then the answer is no, you won't pass it on.

• SimplytheFACTS

mild autism is not people first language.  people first would be 'person with autism'.  some people with autism prefer the phrase 'autistic person'  if a person wants to refer to  themselves as high, medium, low function, that is their right....you don't have the right to admonish them.

Yes, it is known that autism runs in families.  They have found some genetic markers, but nothing definitive yet.  They don't know how much of an increased risk it is, but it is definitely increased.

And, yes your child could be more severely affected.

• ?

The full causes of autism arebt ubderstood at this time, but it seems likely theres a genetic component, so autistic parents are more likely to have autistic kids. But, having dealt with your own autism, you should be better able to identify autistic behaviour, and formulate coping strategies, so you've got an advantage in that regard