promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

will an owl take my small dog out of my yard? Do they hunt in the daytime?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Probably not carry it out of the yard but it could kill the dog in the back yard and eat it there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • BBean
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

IDK whether or not an owl WILL take your small dog but an owl CAN if so mind to. I live on a county road that trees make a tunnel from each side of the road and real often dodging potholes I stir up an owl that flies below the tree line around 10:30 am. That is common where I live for those tree tunnels and occasional warm days in winter and just a few weeks ago I saw an owl fly up with a large snake which I believed to be a stub-tail moccasin since the location is near a creek. Assuming the snake was still in hibernation or dormant mode took advantage of a warm day and yet not able to move fast enough made an easy catch and meal for a hungry owl. 

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes they can/will take small pets, and some do hunt during daylight hours.  They are mostly nocturnal, but will often hunt during low light as well.

• Herman
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Where I live we have Barred Owls and my neighbor raised pug dogs. The owl's

would sit on the light wire and wait for a opportunity  to try to get one when he let them out side. They never did get one but i enjoyed watching the owls sitting on the wire.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A much bigger concern would be hawks or eagles.

Owl's will prey in the day opertunistically and if hungry, but small puppies are not often on the menu. The usually eat on the site unless unsafe for them.

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not just owls you need to worry about.  The first video below shows an eagle snatching a small child.  The second video is a news story about an owl taking a small dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0P5t5NQWM

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXaCACQF__U

Youtube thumbnail

• M.P.
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

No, they're mostly nocturnal. But a hawk might take a stab at it, cats have been snatched.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.