Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

What’s a nice way to decline the invitation to a gay wedding without offending the couple?

My friends sister is getting married and she has invited me to the wedding. I’ve known the family for quite a while (7 years) and I respect her sister and the girlfriend. However, due to my religion and beliefs this is something I can not participate in. Before the hate comments come no I am not homophobic! I respect everyone and their decision to love who they choose. I just personally don’t agree with celebrating and encouraging something I obviously don’t agree with but out of respect for the couple and their big day I think it’s best that I don’t attend since I don’t agree with their union. My friend knows I don’t really go to things like this as I don’t attend gay pride or anything associated with that so I’m not sure why she didn’t give her sister the message but now that I am invited I have to find a way to politely decline. Anyone have any ideas? 

Just tell her that you already know that you are going to be sick that day. Just thinking about 2 guys would make me sick, I could handle 2 girls much easier as most females are kinder, gentler creatures than males are. The only thing I can come up with is you just don't believe that humans we created for this purpose,  if we were, women could get each other pregnant and males would be able to do the same. We have to have each other for the species to continue at least until the last 40-50 years.

"No" is a complete sentence and requires no explanation or justification. "No, thank you" is a little more polite

Give them your best wishes but something important came up. Be respectful and grateful for the invite, but you don't have to attend if you don't want to.

• sarah

Politely decline the same way that you would politely decline attending a straight wedding. "I'm sorry, but I won't be able to come to your wedding. Congratulations, and best wishes."

• Just simply and respectfully decline. No explanation need to be given. You don't have to justify your reason why/why not you are going to attend. It is not a crime to disagree with a situation.

didnt jesus hang out with thieves and prostitutes to show them the light? how are you going to show anyone your beliefs are worth following if you are not there for them to follow if they choose to do so?

• tomster652 months agoReport

no ocimom, you are wrong.  that is then also saying jesus agreed with crime and prostitution.  

Why make an issue of it other than taking the opportunity to show people how ignorant you are? You come here to put your homophobia, ignorance on display for all to see and the hopes in getting some hateful replies for your effort.. Nobody cares that you're a hateful troll with too much time on your hands! You apparently suffer from stupidity as well!

• Caz

You RSVP no.  The same as you would to any wedding that you didn't want to or weren't able to attend.

I don’t attend Gay Pride events either, but I am not prejudice against gays.  Just because you don’t attend those Gay events would not alert others that you are prejudice. 

There are many churches who would welcome anyone in their church. 

You decline the invitation as you would for any reason you have for not attending.  You simple check the box that say will not attend.  

Then you should tell your friend how much you disagree That homosexuals have the right to marry.  He has a right to know how you think and feel about his family member. 

Do you not attend a wedding when one of the couple is divorced?  Do you not associate with divorced people?  Do you not associate with someone who has committed adultery?  Who has lied. What about attending a wedding of a soldier who has killed in battle? Or someone who has been convicted and severed their time in jail for stealing.

• Kelly

The same way you'd decline any other invite..  RSVP your regrets/decline.  You're not obligated to give a reason. An invite is a notice to let you know you're welcome to attend if you would like, it's not a summons to appear.