Buck asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 2 months ago

Will I be approved for medical marijuana in PA with a diagnosis of anxiety ?

This question is pretty cut and dry I have been suffering from anxiety since 3rd grade I’m almost 27 years old now and recently a couple of DUIs led me to be on parole and I can’t smoke without a card. I went to a doctor on Valentine’s Day and was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder anxiety with somatic symptoms and panic disorder. I have an appointment with a well reviewed medical marijuana doctor in my area and I have my diagnosis in hand. Maybe it’s just my anxiety but I’m terrified that I won’t get approved, as this is the only thing that helps i don’t know what else I will do if I’m denied I’m registered with a patient ID number a diagnosis and the money for the visit and I already spoke with parole and they gave me the green light as well. But will the doctor approve me? 

Favorite Answer

One reason you've got anxiety is that you make catastrophe predictions. You're making one here - you think you won't be approved for the medical marijuana, and planning on it instead of going with the flow and just talking to the doctor about your issues and waiting to see what he says.

Most people who have severe anxiety worry about the future and what's going to happen all the time. Maybe you could consider practicing living with presence? Lots of websites and YouTube videos all about that.

• Not at all in my opinion

It seems you have not done so well with alcohol (plus tobacco?) so adding another drug to abuse seems like not such a good idea.

• David B

I would expect the thumbs down comes from a pot smoker/drug abuser!

• TedEx

You are about to find just how difficult it is to get medical marijuana in PA..Don't assume you can just walk in and say ":"can I have a prescription for medical marijuana?"

Guns or Pot, pick one. If you get a medical pot card then it means you are a chronic user and that disqualifies you from having guns. Which is more important to you?

Doctors in legal medical marijuana states (like PA) aren't able to -prescribe- weed because it's still a schedule 1 drug and they could lose their licenses.  So instead they sign a 'recommendation', which is a lot less dangerous for them.  The fact is, marijuana has very little 'downside', very little risk.  So doctors are happy to recommend it.

Ask your doctor, chances are he'll say yes.

If not, many of the big dispensaries have doctors they can send you to.  Here in California, we're a legal state but a few years ago we were just medical marijuana like PA.  I knew five or six people who had marijuana cards and nothing was really wrong with them, so I got the idea you only had to say 'I get migraines sometimes'.  With your problems I'm pretty sure you'd get a card.

Instead of masking the anxiety with smoking weed get some help for it. Go and see a psychologist that deals with anxiety disorders and CBT.

At 27 you are still young and working on yourself now could transform the rest of your life.

Update: Your guess is as good as mine, it discourages people posting decent, reasoned answers. 

• David B

Why would someone give a thumbs down for a perfectly reasonable suggestion??

• Andy C

Anxiety is not a disease or illness but an instinct that keeps us from getting possibly harmed.

An anxiety disorder is the illness where too much anxiety is felt disproportionate to the stimuli.

Marijuana is very high in THC and GHC does NOTHING for anxiety disorders, but CBD can potentially help with anxiety.

The hallucinogenic effects of THC will very likely outdo any benefit of the marijuana, even C. indica.

You would be better off trying out CBD oral products. CBD doesn't get you high.