How to help baby talk. ?

My son is 17 months and doesn’t speak. I’m a single mom and have 0 help 0 suppprt. His dad abandoned us so I quit my job to be a stay at home mom. The first year was good, but I’m always exhausted. He’s my first baby and the first baby I’ve ever had to be around. I’m the youngest. I got him books but never actually sat and read to him because I’m always sleepy and cranky as everything. EVERYTHING. Is up to me. Now I’m sad because he doesn’t really speak. I’m sure if we had a bigger family and more conversation that would be different but it’s just us. How can I get him to start talking. He doesn’t even know his head eyes toes etc. Please help with advice. Thanks. 

Favorite Answer

The internet is your friend. Click on the link below for some websites that teach basic language to toddlers. Ideally, you can spare a few minutes a day to use these websites to help him learn. Since the lessons are fun, they shouldn't be so tiring for you. If you can't spare the time, perhaps there is someone in your life who can, such as a caregiver or a neighbor.

• Jeff
      1 month agoReport

“If you can’t spare the time” aka “If you’re too busy for your kid”

Call your local United Way and ask if there's help locally for single moms. They'll tell you if there are any groups or organizations that can help.

Boys usually talk later than girls, but if you aren't talking to him he won't learn. You have to teach him..

What does his doctor say?  When it comes to speech, comprehension is just as important as spoken words.  But basics are talking to him, reading to him, teaching him words.  And it sounds like you need to find a support group and some counseling. 

Just talk to the kid. That takes little effort on your part. 

I’m sorry you’re a single mom but that whining has to stop.

• Edna
      2 weeks agoReport

Something tells me that her own irresponsibility and her own actions put her in the position of being a "single mom" & now she's whining about it.  "His dad abandoned us" usually means that her boyfriend (not her husband) walked out as soon as he found out she was pregnant. 

Reading from a book is not nearly as important as just talking to the kid. Speak aloud what you're doing when you're with or near him. Playing a recording of a kids' book or "news in slow English" is better than nothing but inferior to personal interaction.

• Rick B

Ummmm. If his dad left, how are you a stay-at-home mom???? How do you pay the bills and eat?

Are you talking to him and teaching him these things????