Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Have you ever not held the door for someone directly behind you?

If people are mass exiting from a lecture hall or a movie theater for example, have you ever just walked through the door without touching it knowing people are coming behind you? 

A girl hurried to walk ahead of me when I was leaving class, and she went through the door without so much as touching it. I don’t even know how she made it through without nudging it a little. Is pushing a door open not reflexive for some people? 

I was pretty much on her heels. There wasn’t even a need to “hold” the door, just to push it open for me to catch it.

I just shout 'thank you' when someone does that to me. 

• denise

No, I generally hold the door open for the person behind me,  even if my hands are full, I hold it open with my foot!

maybe she forgot to check and see if anyone was behind her

You're reading way too much into the situation.  If the person made it through the door with out actually touching it, does it really matter?

• Alicia971 month agoReport

I don’t think so. She just lacks common manners. I’ve never seen somebody just walk through a door knowing a classroom full of people are exiting one behind the other. 

I open it for them if they are walking the same speed as myself (ex; not dillydallying by talking to the person behind them or they stop to check something in their bag for 2 minutes and expect you to keep the door open).

These things are equally annoying and both of these things can be done outside when you have walked past the door or if it is cold outside stay inside a bit longer to get those things done, but don't act all grateful when someone holds the door open for you and keep them waiting. 

This is when I just make my exit and the person then seems annoyed with me. They need to make up their minds if they are leaving or staying. Just plain rude in my opinion.

Ultimately, comes down to personal choice and what feels right for the individual. Some people will automatically hold the door for others, some people not so much.

• Fireplace
      1 month agoReport

The question was, have YOU ever done it?

it mightve been opened enough that she didnt need to touch it

Not if they are right behind me but if they are a while away, yes. I really can't stand door holders when I'm miles away and then I've got to move quicker because they are stood there with he door, let the damn thing go if I'm more than a few feet away gawd.