promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Ben
Lv 6

It is totally normal for children to be called by a nickname instead of their given legal name by their parents, right?

For example, Peter Gene Hernandez was called "Bruno" by his father.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends on cultural factors, but, in this example, along with Bruno, obvious possibilities would be Pete or PG.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Depends on your society.  In my society, the actual use of the full given name was reserved for calling me out for punishment of wrongdoing.  If I heard my name given formally, by my parents (especially mom), trouble was certain to follow.  American society tends to work with nicknames over given names as a preference, even within the family.

• Spurgeon1 month agoReport

A nickname is OK if it's flattering, charming or friendly to the person addressed.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, it's totally normal. 

Here's an example:

Joseph Frank Keaton was born into a vaudeville family in Piqua, Kansas. He was named "Joseph" to continue a tradition on his father's side (he was sixth in a line bearing the name Joseph Keaton) and "Frank" for his maternal grandfather. Later, Keaton changed his middle name to "Francis". 

According to a frequently repeated story, Keaton acquired the nickname "Buster" at the age of about 18 months. An actor friend named George Pardey was present one day when the young Keaton took a tumble down a long flight of stairs without injury. After the infant sat up and shook off his experience, Pardey remarked, "He's a regular buster!" After this, Keaton's father began to use the nickname to refer to the youngster. He was known as Buster Keaton throughout his long and illustrious film career.

Source(s): Wikipedia
    • RE
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It's common in Spanish too. I know fraternal twins called Gringo and Ne gro. Bruno could be similar, since it means "brown."

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

yes, especially if their official name is way too common.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I'm sad to report that this is only considered to be 95% normal. 

• 2 months ago

That is not a nickname. That's a different name entirely. A nickname would be Pete. Peter - Pete. Some people go by nicknames. Few, very few hate their names and choose another entirely.

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not typical for parents to give their children a nickname that isn't a derivative of their given name, but it's not abnormal for parents to do so, either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.