Ben

It is totally normal for children to be called by a nickname instead of their given legal name by their parents, right?

For example, Peter Gene Hernandez was called "Bruno" by his father.

• RP

It depends on cultural factors, but, in this example, along with Bruno, obvious possibilities would be Pete or PG.

Depends on your society.  In my society, the actual use of the full given name was reserved for calling me out for punishment of wrongdoing.  If I heard my name given formally, by my parents (especially mom), trouble was certain to follow.  American society tends to work with nicknames over given names as a preference, even within the family.

• Spurgeon1 month agoReport

A nickname is OK if it's flattering, charming or friendly to the person addressed.

Yes, it's totally normal. 

Here's an example:

Joseph Frank Keaton was born into a vaudeville family in Piqua, Kansas. He was named "Joseph" to continue a tradition on his father's side (he was sixth in a line bearing the name Joseph Keaton) and "Frank" for his maternal grandfather. Later, Keaton changed his middle name to "Francis". 

According to a frequently repeated story, Keaton acquired the nickname "Buster" at the age of about 18 months. An actor friend named George Pardey was present one day when the young Keaton took a tumble down a long flight of stairs without injury. After the infant sat up and shook off his experience, Pardey remarked, "He's a regular buster!" After this, Keaton's father began to use the nickname to refer to the youngster. He was known as Buster Keaton throughout his long and illustrious film career.

Source(s): Wikipedia
    • RE

It's common in Spanish too. I know fraternal twins called Gringo and Ne gro. Bruno could be similar, since it means "brown."

• Zirp

yes, especially if their official name is way too common.

I'm sad to report that this is only considered to be 95% normal. 

That is not a nickname. That's a different name entirely. A nickname would be Pete. Peter - Pete. Some people go by nicknames. Few, very few hate their names and choose another entirely.

• Nancy

It's not typical for parents to give their children a nickname that isn't a derivative of their given name, but it's not abnormal for parents to do so, either.