promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Car lease courtesy call?

I agreed to lease a car at a dealer yesterday, was going to go back tomorrow to finalize etc. but I did not sign anything, except the thing that let them check my credit score. Went to a different dealer and got a better deal and signed and got a car. Any tips on what to say as a courtesy to the other dealer because I am backing out of handshake agreement?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The truth is always the best and easiest. You owe nothing to the first dealer. Business is business, as they say.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

I bought a car elsewhere.

• 2 months ago

It's really up to you. If you want to ignore them, fine. If you want to call and let them know what happened, fine. They've been through both scenarios many, many times. 

If it was me, I would do the courteous thing and let them know. If they ask if it's "finalized", just answer yes and move on. 

** Side note - I always love the people who are so hostile toward car salesfolks. If you don't like their methods, move on to another. It's that simple. No need to be rude, hang up on them, "block them", etc. 

• Kaz
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Just say "I've changed my mind, I decided against that car, but I appreciate your help."  Then just get off the phone, you don't owe them any other information - and they will want to talk - trying to get you to change your mind and buy from them.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You don't have to say anything or you can tell them the truth. They knew your agreement did not have any teeth.

• 2 months ago

Don't tell them anything and block their number on your cellphone. It's your money and your life so they can suck it! Ha-ha!

• 2 months ago

Simply say that you got a better offer.  If they say that you should have given them a chance to match that good offer, they you say that you were serious, and if they could have done better, they should have done so at the time.

• ...Show all comments
    • Rick2 months agoReport

I actually transferred  the insurance from my old car to the one yesterday but today I just switched that to the one I signed for.

• 2 months ago

just tell him the truth

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The truth is that your presence on this forum is worthless

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.