Insurance claim?

Hello, long story short, I had got in to an accident maybe 5 years ago, I was at fault, my damage bill was around 1300$, I was young and didint care, now I’ve spend 1 year looking, and calling insurance to pay back but I can’t find the insurance that I owe to, any advice? I am in the state of Texas! 

Update: I did contact my towns court and they don’t have any law sue filed Against me, I recently got my new insurance, they ran my driving record the agency said it came out clean, so what happen to that? 

• Edna

In the State of Texas (or in any other state), if you had insurance at the time of the accident, you don't owe your  insurance company anything. 

Because you said it was your fault, 5 years ago your insurance company paid the other driver's insurance company to cover his damage and they paid you to cover your damage, less the amount of your deductible. That's what insurance companies do - and that's what you buy insurance to do.

Your insurance company is happy; the other driver's insurance company is happy; and you're happy. Everybody's happy and everybody's been paid, and  your insurance company has closed their file on your claim.   

• leo2 months agoReport

Hello at the time of the accident I was not a listed driver that’s why they declined the coverage 

Yeah...ask the DMV. Or, just forget it.

If you apply for car insurance that company will review your driving record.  This info will be on your record.

• Kaz

If you had insurance at the time - they (the insurance company) should have paid the damages - you wouldn't owe anything.  

If you were uninsured, they probably put a claim through their own insurance.  After five years, if you haven't received a subpoena from them to appear in court - the case was probably resolved.  

If you've forgotten who you were insured with they probably sent a non-payment report to the credit agencies. See if it's on your credit report. You can track them that way. 

Check court house records in the county where the accident took place. See if you were named in a law suit. If not, you have no legal obligation to pay back the money. The Statute of Limitations has passed.

• May

Short answer to a long question short: 

I suggest that instead of looking for the insurance company, that you give the $1300.00 to your church, synagogue or a worthy charity.The dollar sign ($) goes BEFORE the amount, not after it.

• leo2 months agoReport

Hello, at the time my insurance didint cover it because I was not a listed driver 

Your insurance companies likely settled this issue years ago. Let it go! Let it go!

• Erik

My advice is to do nothing, and let them find you.

Insurance likely dropped the claim or the insurance company went bankrupt.  You should have received a lot of claim letters by now.