Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Do I have a chance at UC schools or UC with no APs? ?

So I’m doing high school in 3 years. I’m a junior and I’m only in 2 honors... I would’ve taken all honors this year but they didn’t fit into my schedule according to counselor :(. I would’ve done honors last year too, but my counselor wouldn’t let me. Is it too late to take AP classes next year? I have good grades. I have gotten all A’s this year. I take the SAT on March 4th, so if I get a good score, could that help as well? 

I meant *USC 

You might have a chance at the less competitive UCs (Santa Cruz, Merced and Riverside).

At the more competitive UCs (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB), the average GPA (weighted) for admitted applicants is well over 4.0. 75% or more of admitted applicants have weighted GPAs of over 4.0. So even with a straight A average, you're just not going to be able to compete without honors and AP classes, since your weighted GPA will top out at 4.0. 

A very high SAT score will offset, to some extent, your low (for UC) GPA, but the average SAT scores for the more competitive UC are likewise pretty high. 

• al2 months agoReport

I am taking honors classes... My weight GPA is 4.3

• John

If being short on AP courses might stand in the way of getting into a school you want to attend, I would consider abandoning the plan to complete high school in 3 years.  If your rush to graduate from high school interferes with your college plans, its something which should be changed.

• al2 months agoReport

It can’t be changed now..

• DON W

Your score on standardized tests--either the SAT or the ACT--is a major factor in determining whether or not you will get accepted not only to UC, but to any US university.

While honors classes are okay, AP courses are more important to universities, because not only is there a course grade, but also a score on the AP exam.  Get a 3, 4 or 5 on an AP exam and it proves to the university that you can do college-level work in that subject.  That can be even more important than your course grade, because it's not influenced by the teacher liking or disliking you.

UPDATE

USC is one of the most demanding, most competitive schools in the US.  I'd question whether they would accept anyone who had not taken any AP courses unless the applicant truly had such a strong background that they would overlook that.

It might help. We don't know what the criteria are at your high school to get into the AP classes. There may be a limited number of classes and a high demand for those classes. It might be easier to get into the AP math and science classes than, say, AP psychology. Talk to your guidance counselor. Ask him/her if a good score on the SAT will help your chances.

i dont see why not