promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

First offense speeding ticket? ?

After around 4 years of driving, I got my first ticket today. I was going 10 over. 

I’m said I would go to court to try and fight it but I have no idea how. 

Some google results said to ask for a plea to get it dismissed or just lower the cost, since it’s my first time.

Others said while pulled over, to not say a lot as it can be used against you. The problem is I didn’t shut up. I admitted to speeding and said I was sick and drowsy and maybe shouldn’t have been driving. I mentioned where I was off to. 

I wasn’t rude, I was respectful towards the officer, but I know tickets and pleading guilty is bad. I don’t have a record and I don’t want to raise the insurance my sister pays for (it’s also under her name).

What can I do or say to help? 

Thank you!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Trust me...you won't get it dismissed. You MAY be able to plead guilty to say, 2 over instead of 10. Your insurance company will still bend you over but the ticket will be cheaper.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Good grief, calm down, it's just a ticket. We all get one, sooner or later. Pleading not guilty is pointless. You were speeding, you got caught, you are guilty.

HOWEVER, You probably have the option of attending traffic school, which will keep your insurance from going up. Look into this IMMEDIATELY as it needs to be completed before the fine is due. You will still have to pay the fine, and for traffic school, but it's better than raising your sister's insurance.

This can probably all be handled online, possibly including the class. Search the web site of your state's DMV.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you were speeding, you were speeding.  What is your DEFENSE to the ticket?  You weren't speeding?  Other than that, you have no defense.

And, yes, your insurance will probably go up at your next renewal, but that depends on the company AND your age.

• 1 month ago

The only way you win is if the cop doesn't show up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I have had almost 20 speeding tickets in my lifetime. I just pay them. That is easier and less bother than trying to fight them. Drive slower.

• parsnipianna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I hold that anybody who doesn't get at least one speeding ticket every five years is just driving too damn slow. 

• not
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Pay your fine and move on. Sometimes we just accept our mistakes.

To fight it you can request data like calibration of the equipment that says you were speeding, can't submit facts in court with bad equipment so they must test it regularly. You can argue the officer a liar. Seems to fight it the first step is to not admit guilt.

• 1 month ago

It’s only your first ticket, the judge gave me a choice to go to take a driving class for a day and it wouldn’t be on my record, the same thing might happen for you or you would just pay a fine, but because you only have one and it was just 10 miles over your likely get a choice to go to a class and no record, if the ticketing officer doesn’t show he would just dismiss it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.