Is this illegal or just unethical? ?

If you haven’t read my previous post, I left something out. So basically my parents asked me to go to counseling because they were worried about me. I did so and signed a HIPAA agreement saying that they could know whether I made my appointments or not (since they were paying for them). Instead, my therapist told my dad how much unprotected sex I have in college. I obviously shared that with her privately and don’t know how I’m supposed to return to counseling with anyone and trust them. I have an appointment with her this week and plan to read the agreement I signed to determine if HIPAA was violated but I also remembered what else she did. She LIED to my parents about how much I drank in college, stating that I drank up to 5 days out of the week when I definitely told her I only drink on Friday’s and Saturdays. Obviously this is ethically wrong because she misinformed my parents but is there anything legally I can do?

Read you agreement again. I bet it allows for the therapist to say anything she wants to anyone.

neither, you dumb b­itch

If you don't trust your therapist, it doesn't matter about HIPPA. You don't trust her and no law or ethics can change that. If you want some things to be secret then don't tell anyone.

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them be dead." Benjamin Franklin

There is no such thing as a patient signing a HIPAA agreement, except to acknowledge that you received a copy of federal HIPAA regulations. You may have signed some sort of  waiver with your therapist, who obviously misled you. Re-read whatever it was you signed, and tell the therapist you feel your trust was violated.

If you are not legally an adult you have virtually no rights. If you're over 18, insist on a new therapist, but practically speaking there's nothing within your means you're going to get out of trying to pursue it legally.

NO. It isn't illegal OR unethical.

By YOUR admission, you signed a HIPAA waiver explicitly allowing disclosure of EVERYTHING related to the therapy to your parents.

As I said the last time when you thought you signed a "HIPPA" form, without reading the form there is no way for anyone to know if HIPAA was violated.  This question changes nothing.  Yes, you can contact an attorney in your State and ask this question.  "Basically" your parents were worried about you?  Basically?

I don't know your age; I don't know your State; I don't know what you signed.  Incidentally, drinking "only" on Fridays and Saturdays IS drinking "up to 5 days a week."  Perhaps "drinking 'only' twice a week" would have been a better choice of words, but "up to 5 days" fits.

Here's a thought.  Stop drinking and having random sex, and your parents won't "basically" worry about you AND you won't need therapy!

• kenna2 months agoReport

Don’t tell me to stop drinking and having random sex. And if I did so, I would still need therapy because I have PTSD, depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, and am disabled. You don’t know me. I told her I only drink fridays and Saturday’s, meaning at no point have I drank 5 days/w

you don't have to read the HIPPA agreement. she knows it darned well and violated her professional ethics unless there's some loophole related to insurance or your age that i don't know of. so you're basically an average college student. congrats, i guess.

Next time, read the agreement you sign BEFORE you sign it.

Yes, she is doing some things that are unethical.