promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

95 Toyota Camry?

had bad tensor.changed tensor and water pump.. can't seem to get timing correct if I keep trying will I damage motor?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You always start with the #1 cylinder at TDC (top dead center) and then put the timing belt and other stuff on. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Unless you want to pay someone to do it for you. 

• ...Show all comments
    • CactiJoe
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Should have added, The #1 cylinder should be at TDC on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. There's a big difference. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Thank everyone for being so supportive. I am not a mechanic and lord knows I can't afford one!

• 1 month ago

How many times are you going to ask this? Have the car towed to a garage.

• Linda1 month agoReport

wow so sorry I annoyed you just tryin survive here and I thought that was what this forum was for. If I had the ability to take it to a mechanic I would.But I do not.But I am sorry for obviously discuting you with my issue.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What sensor did you change?  Get a service manual.  The throttle position sensor (TPS) might need to be disconnected when checking timing on your car with a timing light.  If timing is still off, remove the timing cover and check the timing marks again.  Turn the engine by hand ten times and make sure the marks are still lined up on every turn.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.