promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Religionism, atheism, and spiritualism: Which one is not like the other ones?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I use the Bible to define words with deep and nuanced meaning.  The Bible defines "Religionism" in James 1:26.  A person who professes faith but does not live by it is using religion for self.  It is an act of vanity.  Pure religion is defined for us in the next verse.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

What we think happens after we die is our religion.  When a mourner asks us about the afterlife and death, our answers are a pure reflection of our religion.  When we visit and interact with mourners,  we do it without worldly motive.  We do not want their favors,  their money,  or any gain for ourselves at all.  We only want to comfort them with the good news of the resurrection of the dead.  To give their weary heart rest.  

Prior to the rise of democracy in Greece,  groups of people who did not believe in the local religion were killed or driven out of society.  They had no protections.  Democracy protected them and so this is how Atheism was born.  They were quite successful in disproving the Greek Pagan religion.  This made Greece fertile ground for the Gospel.  The local false gods had been debunked and the people were ripe for reason.

Religionism and Atheism are almost identical terms.  A religion of self for self is vanity defined.  Spiritualism is the one least like the others.  Good question!

Source(s): www.bible.com
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

The answer is the same as comparing

the number 7

Grass seed

And humor

• Paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Religion and spiritualism both involve the supernatural. Atheism denies that it exists.

• 2 months ago

One's a null set.

Source(s): I wonder if anyone's ever used {} as a symbol for atheism.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Religion (not "religionism") is a belief and worship of a god (or gods).  Atheism is the absence of that.  Spiritualism, well, that's for people who don't have a clear idea about either.  Or in other words, I have no idea what "spiritualism" actually means, and I suspect that the people who use it don't either but just like the sound of it.

P.S. - "Religionism" is actually a word but I'm not sure if that's what you intended, it's the excessive use of religion.

• atheism is the odd one out, dear, it's stupidity, dear.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.