Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Is probation a complete joke of a sentence? (See details)?

I do understand that just because the sentence imposed by the court is a slap on the wrist, having a criminal record might not be. It makes it more difficult to find a decent job or a landlord willing to rent to you.

But that doesn't apply to me. I already own a paid off home, and with my successful online business and a large inheritance from my Grand Dad, I'm financially independent for the rest of my life.

I'm never gonna need to apply for another job or fill out another rental application. A criminal records not gonna mean all that much to me.

That said, lets say I was convicted of something minor and was sentenced to probation.

So I have to go to my POs office for a monthly meeting. No biggie.

So they can drug test me. Well I don't use anything illicit, never have, never will, so no worries there.

The PO can search my home. Well again, nothing to hide means nothing to fear, and for any inconvenience factor, they tend to do home searches sparingly unless I give them reason to do it more often. My PO would be managing dozens if not hundreds of others on probation besides myself. They are notoriously overworked.

Seems like with a sentence of probation, I'd still be going about my daily life more or less the same.

Would probation alter my life in any significant manner?

Is probation even a real consequence?

Sounds like you are not too worried about it. I suppose the only question I would ask is what the original sentence would be if you violated your probation, had a order to show cause hearing (or something similar) and the judge imposed the original sentence? Is it jail or prison? That would be the only thing I would be concerned with. If you are not worried about violating and getting additional probation sanctions added to your probation agreement, I don't understand the question. (Looks like you asked it before)

Law hasn't changed since the last time you asked this.

If you have such a clean and wonderful life, why are you worried about probation?

Oh, and it's granddad, one word.

• Clive

Same as last time you asked.

• Bryan

Keep in mind that the court has wide discretion to order conditions of probation that are tailored to you.  Such things as no contact with felons and designated others is a common one.  Another common one is a requirement for mental health/anger management or substance abuse counseling.  Requirements for high school completion and or continuation of education are also common.  Also common is the no drugs or alcohol which often includes a prohibition about frequenting establishments that provide alcohol for drinking on site.  That would also include many restaurants. In some more extreme cases, courts order electronic monitoring which could include GPS tracking, remote alcohol monitoring along with other technologies. 

Of course, I don't know if any of those would be appropriate in your case.  If they are, it would be up to you decide if they pose only a mild inconvenience or not. 

You only mentioned the very basic, near universal terms of probation.

Another common requirement is that you have a designated area you cannot travel out of without prior approval. If you're lucky, that designated area may be your entire State, but often, it is your city or county of residence. 

I do not know if that is significant to you, but it would be to me.

A common condition is a curfew for being back at home every night. I don't know how significant that is to you, but for me, It would suck to be a grown man and have a curfew imposed.

Employment is often a requirement of probation even if you don't otherwise need it. As you said, good jobs are hard to come by for convicts, so if you are as financially well off as you say you are, yet you have to serve me at McDonalds for the length of your probation just to avoid going to jail on a violation, welp, sucks to be you.

Those are just a few of the strings attached to probation that make it indeed a "real consequence."

The problem is that nearly every liberal is a felon and there just aren't enough prisons for all of these idiots.