promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Im 80 yrs old and can't drive anymore.  What documents do I need to turn in my Ohio drivers license?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

None at all just do not renew it that is all you need to do.  Or go to DMV and turned it in, you need no other paper work!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

I cannot cancel my insurance without turning in my license..  There are documents required to do so one of which is my birth certificate.' but there are others  .I went once.  I told them I was flying the next weekend and could use my passport for ID.  They said no and were very rude.  

• 2 months ago

Don't listen to most of the answers you've received.  They're wrong.

You can surrender your driver's licence at any Ohio BMV office that offers driver licensing services.  Your Ohio driver's licence will serve as the only valid ID you need, but feel free to bring whatever else you normally carry.  They'll believe it's you.

NOTE:  Unlike getting, renewing or replacing your licence, there should be no fee of any kind for surrendering it.  Just sign a form and you're done.

OTHER NOTE:  Your insurance company will ask who (if anyone) is driving your vehicle now that you no longer hold a valid licence.  You can pick anyone you want as the principal driver, if there is one.

• 2 months ago

None. Just stop driving.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I don't believe that you have to "turn in" your license.  Simply do not renew it when /if it expires

• 2 months ago

Don't have to turn anything in. Just don't drive.

Having a drivers license to use for an ID is a good thing.

• ...Show all comments
    • Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

I have a 72 yo friend, has loss of balance. Constantly losing his privilege, then, trying to get it t back.His MD sends  the statements to the MVD. 

• 2 months ago

Just go in the BMV and hand over your license and tell them to give you a state ID card in its place. They will fill you in on the details. I had to show the BMV my passport and three bills and my SS card to get what it now called a "real ID" or drivers license in Indiana. Even has a star on it. You know, like in 1st grade when the teacher gave you a star on your school work if you got an "A".

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Go to any Ohio Deputy Registrar's Office, turn-in your license and they will issue you an Ohio photo-ID card which you may need in the future.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Turn in your license plates and get money back on your car insurance and park the car in the yard.  You can sell it.   DMV will stop issuing you a new D.L.  Usually most times, the reason to not drive anymore is a medical issue...so that paperwork will make its way to DMV and they will TERMINATE YOU.

• 2 months ago

Just quit driving.  No need to do anything.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Depends WHY. Is it a personal decision? Or did his MD or DMV/MVD send him a Statement?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.