promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Atheists: why did Dawkins respond to a Christian by asking them what if they were wrong?

Update:

As a Christian I like to think that our religion has the best music, the best architecture and the best philosophers. When you look at Muslim lands you see a barren desert 80% of the time, when you look at Christian lands you see lush jungles, lush pine forests, snowcapped mountains, vast historic cities with beautiful parks, in other words you see the whole of civilisation, this is a religion I can get behind. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I saw that Q&A. Because he was turning her question back on her. Here's the full exchange:

Audience member: "This is probably going to be the most simplest one for you to answer, but: What if you're wrong?"

Dawkins: "Well, what if I'm wrong, I mean — anybody could be wrong. We could all be wrong about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the pink unicorn and the flying teapot. You happen to have been brought up, I would presume, in a Christian faith. You know what it's like to not believe in a particular faith because you're not a Muslim. You're not a Hindu. Why aren't you a Hindu? Because you happen to have been brought up in America, not in India. If you had been brought up in India, you'd be a Hindu. If you had been brought up in Denmark in the time of the Vikings, you'd be believing in Wotan and Thor. If you were brought up in classical Greece, you'd be believing in Zeus. If you were brought up in central Africa, you'd be believing in the great Juju up the mountain. There's no particular reason to pick on the Judeo-Christian god, in which by the sheerest accident you happen to have been brought up and ask me the question, "What if I'm wrong?" What if you're wrong about the great Juju at the bottom of the sea?"

Source(s): Richard Dawkins at Randolph-Macon Woman's College, 23 October 2006
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Who cares what Dawkins says or thinks,  He does not speak for or represent Atheists.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It's a question Christians never ask of themselves but always challenge it to others - they're kinda stupid that way......

• 1 month ago

I Know Right / He ask the Chinese " But what if you are Wong 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Retief
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No idea, ask Dawkins.

• 1 month ago

But what if you ARE wrong?  Answer the question!  8^)

That's kind of a strange argument.  To your credit, I have to say I've never heard an argument like that before.  Forests and mountains and jungles don't have religious affiliation.   The deserts of the US Southwest are FULL of Christians!

But I see Christians here all the time asking atheists 'What if you're wrong?'  Or 'Would you believe God exists if it was proven?' 

• tenn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't know what Dawkins thinks at all times. Perhaps he was tired of getting the same question.

• 1 month ago

Wow. With all the situational context that you have provided, you will surely get an excellent and pertinent answer.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It seemed appropriate at the time.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If Christians are wrong, God was wrong. NOT likely!

• ...Show all comments
    • tenn
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

If Christians are wrong, their god does not exist and couldn't possibly be wrong.  Do you think before you post?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.