promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Why do Christians still insist that the Old Testament doesn't matter anymore even though Jesus said it does Matthew 5:17?

Matthew 5:17 King James Version (KJV)

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

I tell Christians who don't follow the Old Testament not to eat pork or shellfish and not to mix fabrics. They still will do this even if I insist that the Old Testament still applies. Matthew 5:17 was very clear on that.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Hogie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That which is found in both the law and prophets has the potential to be fulfilled or destroyed. There is no option here for "keeping" or "following."

You assume, contrary to the context, this is about the legalities of the law. But in this context, it is the first 5 books, written by Moses, that constitutes the "law."

There are no laws codified in the prophets. This is not about the legalities of the law. This is about prophesies, found in both the law and prophets. And, He fulfilled that which was written about Him in both the law and prophets.

If this were about the legalities of the law, then Christians could not be held to the conditions of that law, seeing as it was a covenant law, and Christians were never a legal party to that covenant law. Also, that covenant legally terminated.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

I'm a devout Christian

and

I don't say or believe, "the Old Testament doesn't matter anymore".

The question is moot.

• Doug
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Jesus perfectly fulfilled and respectfully set aside the entirety of the old, non-salvific Covenant/Testament/Law in favor of the New and saving Covenant in his blood, as administered by the Church. Only that which the Church specifically and authoritatively chose to reaffirm subsequently made its way into the New Covenant. Nothing else. As for your Matthew 5:17: The key to understanding that passage is the words "till all be fulfilled". Jesus fulfilled all that was written about him in the Law, the Psalms and the Prophets. He said so, himself. So he didn't destroy anything. He simply made it better and more practical, for the purpose of our salvation.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
  • 2 months ago

I'm a Christian.  I've never said that.  There goes your question.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

"Fulfill" seems to be the key, Jer. 31:31, Mt. 26:28, Heb. 8:13. What do you think?

• 2 months ago

I don't say that.

Christian

• 2 months ago

Fullfil means to complete, correct, adjust, or whatever necessary to make perfectly right.

Christ separated (1)God's Law (Gospel) under the Apostles, from (2) Moses laws(civil laws), under the Pharisees. Moses had combined Kingdom Law with civil law: Today, civil law is under the control of government officials.

Jesus fixed Moses' mess, then Paul comes along and messes it up again.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Christians treat the Old Testament like a senile, racist, homophobic grandfather they still have to invite to Christmas dinner every year.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Old Testament "matters" as it provides historical information concerning the coming of the Messiah. However, that Messiah, when He came 2,000 years ago, did away with many of the ungodly practices of Judaism, and many of the unnecessary practices they followed.

• 2 months ago

Until Jesus' resurrection, the Old Covenant was still in force. He expected good Jews to obey it. With his resurrection, the New Covenant came into force. He expects good Christians to obey it.

The two Covenants are not mutually exclusive. There are considerable areas of overlap. Murder is still Wrong, Sexual sin -- gay or straight -- is still wrong. Theft is still wrong.

Observances, rituals, commandments, and even punishments may change, but the truth remains the truth.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.