promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

overrev my car ?

i accidently overrev my car when it was in neutral. Revved it past redline by like 700 rpm. What kind of damage could have been done ? I feel my car taking more gas n the engine doesnt sound the same.

Damages n cost to fix ? thnx

Update:

2007 g35s. 6MT

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Car still runs?  Then you did no damage. When the engine goes "clunk" then you are screwed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Accidentally revving a car that's in neutral is highly unlikely to cause any damage to the car's  engine. 

• 1 month ago

I think you're imagining things. The chances of damage is small.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

haha:  most are saying No Way - impossible to harm an engine that has modern engine controls.  But you say it uses more gas and doesn't sound the same:  if so - something DID happen.

Well, it still runs so keep driving it - watch for leaks & overheating.  I'd worry that engine controls aren't perfect and maybe it hurt the valves, cams or ???  Whatever:  as long as it drives, you will get over the jitters and become comfortable with it again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If the engine was in good shape, you'd likely not break anything. It is possible on some cars to booger up the fuel pump by red lining it too many times. VW's had an external fuel pump near the gas tank in the 1980's and the ball bearings might score the inside of the pump and fuel pressure would drop at idle and it might stall. It would take a whole lot of consistent abuse to fry the internal parts of the engine.

• 1 month ago

Your Nissan can't be over-revved. It has a spark limiter to prevent that. Perhaps it was service neglected from the git, and what you did stressed it. Just a blip shouldn't be harmful, but if you layed on the gas, there's no telling. A weak head gasket might fail. A worn out sparkplug might  start failing. Start with engine diagnosis and minor tune up, and a prayer.

• 1 month ago

STOP WORRYING! Modern cars have computers that will NOT let you harm the engines by over-revving them. 700 RPM is NOTHING.Always list the CAR TYPE<year and model with your questions to get the best answers. NEVER USE VALVOLLINE oil either! It is made the cheapest way possible and leads to sludge and tar formation as well as gasket and seal leaks as rubber dissolves over time! Use PENNZOIL PLATINUM to get additional warranty out to 500,000 miles! FOR REAL!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Drive the car around at all speeds.  If you do not experience anything unusual, your car should be ok.  If you hear loud noises or knocking, see a mechanic.

• 1 month ago

Guess you could have floated the valves until they contacted the pistons and smashed themselves up.   Or you could have thrown a rod through the side of the block.  These things did not happen.

Modern engines are electronically limited so that they do not over rev., but your is 13 years old and might be that strenuous anymore.

I do not believe that you did any damage.  Consider yourself lucky and do not do that again.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your car is equipped with a rev-limiter, no harm no foul, you are imagining things.....and if you don't have detailed fuel consumption records (from fill up to fill up) you have nothing to compare to.......don't worry be happy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.